• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I did today....

We had an unbelievable unseasonably warm day today for this part of the country. So I dusted off my Renegade and took my 14 year old daughter to shoot it for the first time. She loved it! I had a great time too. Just plinking at jugs and Pepsi bottles filled with water. But we hit a few of them.

I love it. The look on her face is priceless. Thank you for taking a younger generation shooting.

We went to a nice (and cold>15°) meat shoot Sunday then afterwards started making balls and cutting patches. There's local shoots almost every weekend now up untill October!
During one of the deep freezes I got to over thinkin the shootin season and came up with this materials list.

27 shoots w/.45 cal.=

459 balls(17 shots avg.)
@143gr ea =
65,637gr ÷ 7k =
9.3 lbs of lead

50gr bp per shot=
22,940 gr ÷ 7k =
3.27 lbs 3f bp

2gr bp per shot=
918gr = .13 lbs 4f bp

Bunch of flints +
Pile of patches +
Gallons of spit.
I'm jealous, there are no clubs within at least 1-1/2 hours from me. I can only compete with myself.:confused: The only thing I competed in, was my towns bicentennial celebration. I won both the black powder and archery competition. That was years ago.

I took the top off of a flask several days ago and promptly "misplaced" the 3 little screws. And as of today I'm still looking.

Shot the 1st muzzleloading match of the year at my club today. Managed to cut my first card in half (first time I've ever tried at that!) It was really cold but was a lot of fun. Nice to get out of the house and do some shooting after a bunch of bad weather and working overtime lately.
IMG_20220306_105001.jpg

Shot the 1st muzzleloading match of the year at my club today. Managed to cut my first card in half (first time I've ever tried at that!) It was really cold but was a lot of fun. Nice to get out of the house and do some shooting after a bunch of bad weather and working overtime lately. View attachment 126453
May i ask what distance, and what you were shooting? Was it off-hand or bench? That was good shooting!

Last edited:
started the installation of the butt plate on my Tennessee classic.
neighbor came up and wanted to do some shooting. so the build got shelved.
we had fresh snow last night so it was perfect for "shooting over snow to see unburned powder". it all burned.
shot the TC .45 Hawken flinter. i heat-treated the frizzon a few days ago because it would not spark. at all.
fired 30 loadings today with 3 klatches.
looked and the flint had broken in half length wise on the 4th or 5th shot. wiped what was left of the flint and finished the 30 shots with no problem. that .45 has a permanent home.

I worked on a bunch of antler powder measures. I'm using the Henry Ford production method. Drilled out about 20, and started the process of opening them up.

I'm planning to put a simple engraved design on them, add the volume to each, and sign them.

Figure to take them to Friendship and give away to new friends. We haven't been there before, and can't wait to go !!

May i ask what distance, and what you were shooting? Was it off-hand or bench? That was good shooting!
Thanks! It was all offhand, various distances. I was shooting my .50 Renegade. The cards I believe were at the 7 yard line but @Grenadier1758 could probably say for sure. We had a bunch of steel targets too, the longest was at 125 yards, I hit that once out of my 2 tries. We also did hawk and knife throwing, and fire starting. Missed the steel with the flint and sliced the heck out of my finger Ha!

I shot my Cherokee today, 45. I’ve been shooting my cva mountain rifles for the last couple months. I’ve replaced mainsprings but they just don’t pop the cap 100%. The Cherokee does! 1075’s, cc’ing, Winchester and my home made caps. I was shooting steel at 75 yards, great rifle and great day!

Few of my black powder friends and myself put a Bulk powder order together from Grafs. Should hold us over till goex is back up and running.

I bought a Pietta 1861 Navy Sheriff Model in .36 caliber. It is in fantastic condition. It came with round balls, caps, capper, felt wads, a flask and a partial can of Goex FFFg. I think I got a good deal for $325.

Back