• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to start doing this myself... have all the stuff, just not sure if I'm able to fill the caps due to having tremors.... please post pics of the filling process.... thnxs
I have the stuff, but havenā€™t actually usd it yet, so I may be off base hereā€¦ but Iā€™ve read a lot of descriptions of guys that haveā€¦

I thinking maybe you could make a jig of some sort to hold the ā€œbang juiceā€ bottle/syringe and make an activator handle that makes the tremors not matter so much. So long as the juice isnā€™t so thin as to run out when inverted, youā€™d be in bidness!

Just an idea to help you keep your independenceā€¦

Spent most of the day in the woods but knocked out a couple of small projects to add to my granddaughterā€™s shooting kit. Iā€™ll be making her a custom length range rod, but I had a piece of antler left over so I made a small palm saver to use with her ram rod. And I made her a 60 grain river cane powder measure. Got the idea from a photo in the latest Muzzleloader magazine. I still like the ones I make with cane & cedar, but this style is more HC. Also have to brag some on her shooting ability, my Son sent me a photo of the squirrel target they used today with her .22, sheā€™s getting pretty good with it. They were shooting from 25-30 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_3148.jpeg
    IMG_3148.jpeg
    532 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3149.jpeg
    IMG_3149.jpeg
    686.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3150.jpeg
    IMG_3150.jpeg
    958.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3143.jpeg
    IMG_3143.jpeg
    867 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3144.jpeg
    IMG_3144.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3145.jpeg
    IMG_3145.jpeg
    788.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_Resized_20240107_154025.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20240107_154025.jpeg
    727.9 KB · Views: 0
Spent most of the day in the woods but knocked out a couple of small projects to add to my granddaughterā€™s shooting kit. Iā€™ll be making her a custom length range rod, but I had a piece of antler left over so I made a small palm saver to use with her ram rod. And I made her a 60 grain river cane powder measure. Got the idea from a photo in the latest Muzzleloader magazine. I still like the ones I make with cane & cedar, but this style is more HC. Also have to brag some on her shooting ability, my Son sent me a photo of the squirrel target they used today with her .22, sheā€™s getting pretty good with it. They were shooting from 25-30 yards.
Nice!

Nice work TDM what are chances of you and the mrs adopting me šŸ˜

I fudged up bad and lost it šŸ˜–
seems to be the day for that type of OOPS.
i was morticing a slot in the under rib on my cherry build. said rib is soldered to the nice 36 inch Colerain .45 cal barrel. had depth stop set to just go through the under rib. depth stop didn't. plunged right through into the bore. normally the flow of words that came tumbling out of my mouth would have garnered me a stern look from the bride. she actually made herself scarce.
oh well, now i have a 30 inch barreled half stocked carbine and the beginnings of a Colerain barreled 6 inch pistol. one step forward and two steps backward.

seems to be the day for that type of OOPS.
i was morticing a slot in the under rib on my cherry build. said rib is soldered to the nice 36 inch Colerain .45 cal barrel. had depth stop set to just go through the under rib. depth stop didn't. plunged right through into the bore. normally the flow of words that came tumbling out of my mouth would have garnered me a stern look from the bride. she actually made herself scarce.
oh well, now i have a 30 inch barreled half stocked carbine and the beginnings of a Colerain barreled 6 inch pistol. one step forward and two steps backward.
Between us, the Devil got an ear full šŸ˜–

Waterproofed this small canvas shooting bag I made.
Greetings. I don't know how you waterproof, but I use a formula that I got from an old Herter's magazine years ago written by George Herter, and I dissolve a pound of paraffin in a small container perhaps a quart or a little less of kerosene. you have to put it on when it's hot. I generally put it in a spray bottle, but a small paintbrush works just as well, and you spread it on the surface. I'll guarantee it's waterproof be careful not to over-spray it as you'll have wax on the outside that shows. It's especially good for canvas I've used it on quite a few wood projects. I have moved up a little bit out of the antique class and now I use Stoddard's solvent as it evaporates faster. Be careful in Heating the solvent or kerosene, I use a double boiler on a hot plate.
squint

I played around making some shot capsules for a 54 rifle. Heavy paper tube with 45 cal felt wads glued into each end. Going to have to come up with something to seat under the shot load. Maybe a 54 felt wad.

Larger ones have about 3/4 oz #6 and the smaller ones about 6/10 oz #6. Made 7 to try out on a pattern board. Might be my new squirrel medicine.

20240107_175113_copy_800x450.jpg

I have the stuff, but havenā€™t actually usd it yet, so I may be off base hereā€¦ but Iā€™ve read a lot of descriptions of guys that haveā€¦

I thinking maybe you could make a jig of some sort to hold the ā€œbang juiceā€ bottle/syringe and make an activator handle that makes the tremors not matter so much. So long as the juice isnā€™t so thin as to run out when inverted, youā€™d be in bidness!

Just an idea to help you keep your independenceā€¦
Thanks... any help is helpfull...

I want to start doing this myself... have all the stuff, just not sure if I'm able to fill the caps due to having tremors.... please post pics of the filling process.... thnxs
Im going to print a 3D cap holder that will hold 30 caps to keep them from tipping over after I fill them. I'll post pics as soon as I get it printed and start filling the caps.

Made some patches with some pillow ticking I picked up yesterday. Itā€™s a first fir me and Iā€™ll see how they do tomorrow. View attachment 283396
Much admiration! Wonderfully done. I use the same material and just cut them square with scissors, no waste at all. The square ones work well in the Southern Hemisphere.

Cheers, Pete.

I played around making some shot capsules for a 54 rifle. Heavy paper tube with 45 cal felt wads glued into each end. Going to have to come up with something to seat under the shot load. Maybe a 54 felt wad.

Larger ones have about 3/4 oz #6 and the smaller ones about 6/10 oz #6. Made 7 to try out on a pattern board. Might be my new squirrel medicine.

View attachment 283393
Try put some corn meal between your powder and your shot cup,it worked for me in two smoothbores 28- 24 gauges .

Back