• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i finished up today by fitting a new front sight on my SMR .45 that i just finished browning the barrel.
then i noticed the forearm cap was loose and sliding forward. i had epoxied it when i built the gun. slid it off and the epoxy was there but a layer of rust was between the cap and the fore end.
cleaned the cap and drilled it and pinned it.
had to see how that pretty new barrel worked so i set up a target at 40 yards. the barrel is a GM.
loaded 70g of fff and a .0075 patch with my wonder lube. forgot just what i put in the lube so just wonder.
must have drifted that front sight just right.
i need to shoot this one more it's such a pleasure.

Attachments

• 20230110_193133.jpg
    20230110_193133.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230110_193145.jpg
    20230110_193145.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230110_174803.jpg
    20230110_174803.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
i finished up today by fitting a new front sight on my SMR .45 that i just finished browning the barrel.
then i noticed the forearm cap was loose and sliding forward. i had epoxied it when i built the gun. slid it off and the epoxy was there but a layer of rust was between the cap and the fore end.
cleaned the cap and drilled it and pinned it.
had to see how that pretty new barrel worked so i set up a target at 40 yards. the barrel is a GM.
loaded 70g of fff and a .0075 patch with my wonder lube. forgot just what i put in the lube so just wonder.
must have drifted that front sight just right.
i need to shoot this one more it's such a pleasure.
Very very nice! I like it.

Took basset pup out to see if he's figured out how to find/trail a rabbit. Jumped rabbit , but he didn't see it. Put him on the trail, but he ended up eating a pile of deer poop. Gleefully running through the weeds like a nut, we went back to the farmhouse. 12 gauge percussion's standing by the door, loaded for tomorrow's safari. His breath always smells bad.

Took basset pup out to see if he's figured out how to find/trail a rabbit. Jumped rabbit , but he didn't see it. Put him on the trail, but he ended up eating a pile of deer poop. Gleefully running through the weeds like a nut, we went back to the farmhouse. 12 gauge percussion's standing by the door, loaded for tomorrow's safari. His breath always smells bad.
they seem to like deer beans like we do M&M's ! my labs would pass on a juicy bone for a pile of beans!

they seem to like deer beans like we do M&M's ! my labs would pass on a juicy bone for a pile of beans!
I'm trying to shoot something with a muzzle loader when he's actually trailing or chasing so he will associate the louder report with fun. So far critters've been scarce when we've been actually gunning for them. Pups are funny.

I'm trying to shoot something with a muzzle loader when he's actually trailing or chasing so he will associate the louder report with fun. So far critters've been scarce when we've been actually gunning for them. Pups are funny.
we still haven't replace our girls with a pup. both died last year. not sure we are going to get another one, though my wife was talking puppy breath yesterday.:eek:
any pictures of your pup?

we still haven't replace our girls with a pup. both died last year. not sure we are going to get another one, though my wife was talking puppy breath yesterday.:eek:
any pictures of your pup?
Still haven't figured out the posting photo thing. Ended up deleting what I thought I'd saved/sent. Stuff like that convinces me I'm old.

I think it's going to be a .62 percussion smoothbore pistol barrel.

Sure could use a metal lathe.

Filing gets old.
You are using a wood lathe? I've used a drill press to "turn" down oversized cleaning jags, and it works after a fashion, but I agree, a metal lathe... even my old Unimat would be nice to have around now.

I've rebuilt many a rifle with that wood lathe. The filing gets old real fast. 15 minutes here. 15 minutes there. But it gets the job done.

Worked the thing pretty hard in 12 or so years. Heard a loud bang one day. The cast pot metal pullies gave up the ghost and the edges shattered.

Can't find Central Machinery/Harbor Freight parts. Still works. Just have to pamper her. While shredding belts.

Last edited:
Did you try Mc Master Carr
I've rebuilt many a rifle with that wood lathe. The filing gets old real fast. 15 minutes here. 15 minutes there. But it gets the job done.

Worked the thing pretty hard in 12 or so years. Heard a loud bang one day. The cast pot metal pullies gave up the ghost and the edges shattered.

Can't find Central Machinery/Harbor Freight parts. Still works. Just have to pamper her. While shredding belts.

.62 smooth bore pistol barrel final shape and polish. .09 muzzle wall.

Getting the plug and tang components built.

First time trying this configuration. Press fit and pinned plug. With tang bolted to it.

Attachments

• IMG_2027 (1).JPG
    IMG_2027 (1).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2029 (2).JPG
    IMG_2029 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2037.JPG
    IMG_2037.JPG
    504 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2040.JPG
    IMG_2040.JPG
    460.1 KB · Views: 0
Piddling with the SMR. Have the trigger guard fitted and pinned. Have the barrel pinned and got the tip on the ramrod and peened. Started installing the ramrod pipes. Went for a woods walk.

Attachments

• 978A224E-B2EA-47BD-B127-CA6EB6999CA8.jpeg
    978A224E-B2EA-47BD-B127-CA6EB6999CA8.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 407BECE4-1209-4BA4-8049-76717A871CEA.jpeg
    407BECE4-1209-4BA4-8049-76717A871CEA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 78FD5C14-7027-4395-9B66-8847A4C2ABB6.jpeg
    78FD5C14-7027-4395-9B66-8847A4C2ABB6.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 92022E09-2810-4BA7-9E1A-A89979EB5C3D.jpeg
    92022E09-2810-4BA7-9E1A-A89979EB5C3D.jpeg