• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is this muzzleloader part called?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooddaytoya!

40 Cal
Reaction score
It's the metal part that soldered to the barrel of half-stock rifles that holds short tubes so you can load a ramrod just under the barrel. I had to resolder It and it was a bear of the job.
IMG_20211009_140138838~2.jpg

It's the metal part that soldered to the barrel of half-stock rifles that holds short tubes so you can load a ramrod just under the barrel. I had to resolder It and it was a bear of the job.
Per your EXACT description - you are referring to the under rib. Some shotguns also have one on top of the barrel and it is referred to as the sight rib.

It's the metal part that soldered to the barrel of half-stock rifles that holds short tubes so you can load a ramrod just under the barrel. I had to resolder It and it was a bear of the job.View attachment 98659
There are different names for these here in the UK they are known has the the ramrod rib and and the ramrod pipe . Soldering the ribs is easy and straight forward especially on the octangle type of barrel the round barrel is more complicated you must position the rib true centre tin them und wire the rib in place and solder .
Feltwad

. Soldering the ribs is easy and straight forward
Feltwad
Yes if you know what you're doing. Now that I've soldered it, I learned on my own essentially what you said. Next time I plan to tin several spots on the rib and the barrel, then flatten out a piece of 35/75 rosin core solder to about a little less than 1/16 of an inch, slice it into appropriate size rectangles and paint my favorite flux on those spots, place the solder, then fasten the rib to the barrel with light duty c clamps, then heat the entire barrel to 380° using my non-contact thermometer to get the heat just right. That should do it do you agree?

Seems like most people find this job pretty easy, while me and a few others struggle mightily. I can confirm that it got a lot easier for me when I learned to completely remove it and start over from scratch.

Ghost........The picture of your dog looks just like an 85 lb GSP show girl we rescued three dogs back. She moved in w/ us and shortly , she thought she was my mother. She slept on the floor by my bed , told me when I had to get up , and when I had to go to town , she would hold my hand on the way to the car. She knew I wouldn't do what she wanted if my eyes were closed , so she was relentless if she wanted me to listen. I miss her......oldwood

Looks like the barrel is brown, not rust. I would rather have the brown barrel than a refinish to blue. Keep it original if possible.

DON'T EVER try to solder or hot blue a shotgun. You will melt the solder that holds anything to the barrel, or in the case of a double barrel you will have the rib and barrels come apart. Some other guns are soldered too, be careful! You can check barrels by holding the BARREL up with a piece of bare wire and LIGHTLY tapping it with a piece of metal (small wrench) and if it's OK it will ring like a bell. If not-OOPS! don't shoot it!

Latest posts

Back