• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is best Hawken type today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pedersoli gets my vote. The Rocky Mountain Hawken, but not their Traditional Hawken target. It looks too much like the CVA and Traditions ones. I left TC out cause they're unique on their own IMO.

Alden said:
Jim Bob, is it that you're basically looking to upgrade to a finer rifle in this category first and foremost? That IS a damned smart gun you're leaning towards...

Thanks Alden....I am really getting excited now in getting this Rocky Mtn Hawken by Pedorsoli.

I think I would get a used good condition T/C Hawken and put the money saved over the new Pedersoli into lead, caps and powder.

When I target shoot most of my other guns are used, but the second I get serious and go hunting it is my T/C Hawken that gets called on. Best shooting, best feeling rifle in my collection. It almost feels like they had me in mind when they made it. I hate to just waste it on targets for some reason and it has a special safe spot.

Cynthialee said:
I think I would get a used good condition T/C Hawken and put the money saved over the new Pedersoli into lead, caps and powder.

When I target shoot most of my other guns are used, but the second I get serious and go hunting it is my T/C Hawken that gets called on. Best shooting, best feeling rifle in my collection. It almost feels like they had me in mind when they made it. I hate to just waste it on targets for some reason and it has a special safe spot.

I am not concerned with saving money to buy ammo etc. I just like nice guns and want to own something like the RM Hawken and Pedersoli seems to have the quality I like in a gun. Thompson Center made quality guns and they are gone now and I don't see any manufacturers today that make what I like under a $1,000 it seems. I personally do not like Traditions brand, but the Cabelas Hawken I know nothing about, but in order to keep with the same quality as T/C had going for a production firearm is scarce nowadays.
I own some expensive guns easily valued over $8,000 each new so I am ok spending up to $1,500 on the Hawken I am looking for. I would jump on a new unfired T/C Hawken though by the way!! If anyone knows of or has one available let me know. I know what you mean by when you go hunting it comes down to your most trustworthy accurate gun for sure and it may be the cheapest one in the vault. LOL
Jim

There is an almost new TC Hawk 50 in the classifieds now.Sounds like you could buy any gun you wanted.

Howdy!

I think you'll be very pleased with the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in maple. Having previously owned 2 T/C Hawkens (agree; good guns; I just had really bad luck with both), the Pedersoli is definitely a step up in quality and beauty. It is also heavier, longer barreled and more expensive than the T/C as others have mentioned!
I'm still working out the favorite load for mine in .50 caliber, and still breaking in the barrel. It's sitting in the corner right now after a good cleaning, and I find myself already thinking about the next time I can take it out!

Pedersoli Rocky Mountain is quality and fine workmanship.

I bought mine when they were very first offered. In fact mine was in the first container shipped to the U.S and I had to wait on it. It does not fit me as well as I would like and it is heavy, but it is one fine rifle.

I have a double barrel Pedersoli 10 gauge SXS and not sure you can get a nicer shotgun.

I shoot 2 Charles Moore pistols, as good as they come.

Years ago I lived very close to Trail Guns Armory in League City, TX. Paul P. let me spend hours going through his inventory of Pedersoli Tryon's to pick the one I wanted. I selected the very best one he had.

There is no comparison between a Rocky Mountain Hawken and a T/C Hawken or a Lyman GPR. That is like comparing a Nissan 370Z to a stock Mustang.

I do like my Z and my Rocky Mountain.

Jim Bob;
The Cabela's Kentucky is also a Pedersoli and they seem to have exchanged the patchbox for a double set trigger. Sweet .50.

I wasn't sure if you had your heart set on a big Hawken and to Cynthia's point they are not inexpensive (but they certainly aren't cheap either).

Alden said:
Jim Bob;
The Cabela's Kentucky is also a Pedersoli and they seem to have exchanged the patchbox for a double set trigger. Sweet .50.

I wasn't sure if you had your heart set on a big Hawken and to Cynthia's point they are not inexpensive (but they certainly aren't cheap either).
I like idea of no patch box as I shoot left handed and that can be a pain at times. I ended up putting leather cover over my TC Hawken years ago as it would bite me every now and then I remember.
I will check out that Kentucky at Cabelas...I have plenty of hunting rifle options now, three anyway. LOL I would most likely use it for club shoots or just fun shooting instead of packing it as a hunting rifle, but I have packed my GPR a lot in steep country so who knows. It weighs about same....9.9 lbs.
I found a like new RMH by Pedersoli that does not have the patchbox and it is in maple too, beautiful rifle only been shot a few months since it was new this summer. He said he put about 150 rds through it so far and a tack driver, just too heavy for him.

I guess I missed somewhere that you are a left-handed shooter. Not sure how you shoot right-handed side-lock rifles, but perhaps it's something one gets used to.

If I were left handed, I'd be ordering up a left-handed "custom" Hawken myself if I was wanting to take the next step into a more period-correct and beautiful looking plains rifle to grace the shooting line.

Jim Bob said:
Wanting to buy a new Hawken type rifle.

In your boots, I'd go one step beyond looking at style. I'd move heaven and earth to see them firsthand and include handling in your decision.

I have a fairly wide array of "Hawken-styles" as you're defining them, and they all handle differently. And ultimately it's the handling that determines which ones make me happiest and get all the shooting time.

For example, I have a 58 caliber Hawken from the old Green River Rifle Works, a joy to see and shoot, and reputedly closer to a true Hawken than any recommended so far. Sure they haven't been made for 30 years or so, but they still turn up used when you keep your eyes open, and often in the price range of that Pedersoli.

That's where the comparison ends, though. Like the real Hawkens, mine has a tapered heavy barrel. It's 36" long and tapered from 1 1/8" at the breech to 1" at the muzzle. And due to the taper, it hangs and points better than any straight barrel I've ever handled, in spite of the weight.

Did I mention "weight" just now? Oh yeah. Original Hawkens were heavy, and this one is true to form in that regard too. It tips the scale at a little over 12 pounds, and that's not overly heavy at all for true Hawkens.

But here's the rub. It looks right, feels right and shoots right. But then I have to carry the blooming thing without a horse. It's a big hunk of metal to lug up and down mountains all day, day after day.

Here's where the handling comes into your decision. The more Hawken-ish you get, the tougher it's going to be to actually use it. In spite of having that beauty in my rack, other rifles get most of the hunting time. It's one step short of a range queen because I do get it out hunting now and then. But add many more birthdays to my tally, and it almost certainly will become pure range queen.

Spikebuck said:
I guess I missed somewhere that you are a left-handed shooter. Not sure how you shoot right-handed side-lock rifles, but perhaps it's something one gets used to.

If I were left handed, I'd be ordering up a left-handed "custom" Hawken myself if I was wanting to take the next step into a more period-correct and beautiful looking plains rifle to grace the shooting line.

I have shot right hand locks so long that I don't even think about it...same as shotgun semi-auto. I do have several LH BP guns...my lyman GPR is left hand version and one of my Renegades and I still don't notice any difference. Done it so long I don't think about it.
As long as stock is straight and not bent for RH I am good. Patch box on right side of stock can get in way though. LOL

I am a gun collector and have a large number of guns from different magnums and trap shotguns to a wide array of everything including BP guns. It is funny when you think about all the money you get into these nice guns and the one you end up packing for the hunt is usually "ol reliable" and maybe it is dinged up and dented or whatever, but it is your ace in the hole so to speak. LOL When it comes to the hunt I go to the one I trust the most regardless of what I paid or traded for it. Like most of us on here!! One thing I can say is that virtually every gun I own is worth more today than when I bought them and I cannot say that about the stocks I have owned over the years.

Back