• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is best Hawken type today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a TC Hawken 50 for many years and finally sold to a buddy that wanted it and wished I hadn't done that now.

Wanting to buy a new Hawken type rifle. Which one now made today is best one? Is Traditions Hawken a good one? Is Cabelas Hawken worth buying?

For a production gun I like those Perdisoli rifles if it's in you price range, if not TVM makes a nice kit and for the money the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.

for the money you should look at a lyman gpr, very nice used ones can be found.

I already own 2 Lyman GPRs one is Hunter barrel and other is GPR barrel with slow twist and I also have a LH Renegade 54 and RH Renegade 50 and another TC inline. Sold my TC Hawken awhile back and now want to replace it. Would buy a like new or unused TC Hawken if anyone knows of any. Didn't know TC was going away back then either.

You said "best" so I'm going to assume that means an accurate replication of a Hawken and not the ones called a Hawken that really do not look like one in most respects.

In my opinion, for a Production gun, the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken is the "best" one out there, and perhaps the only true production replica out there. I have had one for years in 54 caliber, which has a 1-65 twist barrel. Mine shoots a patched round ball OR a Hornady GP conical very accurately.

The stocks on these are generally a very good quality maple with significant curl. Color case hardened hardware on these is absolutely beautiful. The 34" barrel is rust browned.

The triggers on mine are superb. Since I'm in cold weather and don't like to use the set trigger with gloves on, I'm very pleased that the front trigger alone has about a 3 1/2 pound pull. Do not confuse the triggers on these with the ones on the lower-cost Pedersoli's that pull about 10+ pounds and virtually require the use of a set trigger.

These are pricey compared to the "plains rifles" offered by others. If you shop around and are patient, you can find them for $1000 new on sale at times. If you're a Cabela's club member and have points you can get them there and use points to reduce the cost.

TC's, GPR, etc will certainly shoot accurately and are good guns. But you said "THE BEST" so in my opinion, this is THE BEST.

I'm attaching links to Pedersoli and Cabela's for your viewing enjoyment! :grin:
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sc...ifles-hawken-rocky-mountain-hawken-maple.html
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pedersoli-Rocky-Mountain-Hawken-Rifle/706019.uts

Look at the customer ratings on Cabela's. How many products have a 4.9 out of 5 stars rating?! That's with 29 reviewers. I think that speaks to the quality of this fine firearm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks....I actually watched a you tube video about 45 minutes long showing the factory in Italy and how they make their guns from start to finish. Wood comes from America for stocks and there is a few that come from England he said too, but they are a very impressive gun maker. $1,000 is no big deal nowadays. I own several Perazzi trap shotguns with release triggers and they are well over that price range. LOL

It sounds like you have a few production guns. I would suggest you look at having a custom Hawken built. That just seems like the next step up. The TCs/ GPRs etc are good guns, but there's just something a little special about a custom gun based on an actual Hawken. Just my thought. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Snakebite said:
It sounds like you have a few production guns. I would suggest you look at having a custom Hawken built. That just seems like the next step up. The TCs/ GPRs etc are good guns, but there's just something a little special about a custom gun based on an actual Hawken. Just my thought. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Yes, that is probably my next phase. I just don't know any custom builders in my area. If anyone knows of any in the northwest I would surely appreciate any info.
I am looking at a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain or Missouri River Hawken at Cabelas right now. Missouri is on sale for $999 in walnut stock. But it has 6 groove barrel as opposed to the Rocky Mountain that has I believe a 7 groove barrel for whatever reason.

Steve Zihn is in Wyoming and W B Selb is in Oregon, either one is known for nice custom built Hawken style rifles

If I'm not mistaken, the Missouri River Hawken has a fast twist (1:34) barrel for conical shooting.

I would also check TOW for some of the guns they have for sale. A Bridger Hawken might be just what you are looking for.

Fyrstyk

Jim Bob said:
I just don't know any custom builders in my area. If anyone knows of any in the northwest I would surely appreciate any info.

Contact our fellow forum member HERB of Vernal Utah. Herb knows Hawken rifles and is a very good builder of these guns.

There are also several for sale on Track of the Wolf's website right now. If you are interested in any of those, you can put in an offer that is lower than the asking price. The procedure is that you add the gun as priced to your cart, but in the COMMENTS section of the order you state that you are making a firm offer of $X. If your offer is accepted, they will ship you the gun and you have a 10-day inspection period. If you don't like it, simply return it and your out-of-pocket is shipping both ways. If you want to keep it, just let them know and they close the deal.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/492/1/AAM-972?PageSize=50
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/492/1/AAN-104?PageSize=50

There's two others, but while much less costly, they don't look nearly as good either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the Dixie Christmas flyer the other day and saw that the Rocky Mt Hawken in walnut is on sale for around a thousand dollars. Maple is more. This is one beautiful rifle.

Go to topic 236611 here there was some info on Steves rifles, I understand that he was allowed to take some of the original rifles apart at the Museum in Cody and make some drawings from them and he builds rifles to those specs.

Best? I would take either of the two Pedersoli Hawken rifles over a custom.

For the money the best value I myself would choose'd be a .50 T/C Hawken. Otherwise an OLD Lyman Great Plains Rifle if I really felt I needed that barrel length.

Let me give Alden an "attaboy" and second his recomendations. Attaboy, Alden :thumbsup:

Best is hard to define and you did not indicate what your are going to do with it, line matches, hunting or recreational shooting. Does make a difference in choosing a rifle.

I have numerous T/C Hawken/Renegades and like them.

I have a Lyman GPR and it is an earlier version, I would not buy one today unless I could inspect it in person, too many reported problems here.

Traditions and Cabela's, I have no interest nor knowledge of them.

I have the Pedersoli Hawken in walnut, it came in the first shipment to the U.S. They should have included a horse to carry it, durn heavy. Fit and finish is excellent, a nice rifle. Too much drop on the stock for my body, I have to crawl up the stock to see through the sights.

You did not set a upper price limit which makes recommendations harder to give.

Check Track of the Wolf, they have lots of rifles which matche your desires. They have custom and production rifles. They offer a 3 day inspection period and they pack rifles for shipment which is superior to anyone. UPS and I are not friends

I have reached a point, if I am going to buy used, it's from Track Of The Wolf or no one because of their return policy and packing. Cherry's and Flintlocks Etc. for Pedersoli if it has to be ordered.

Another place to look for used is The Muzzle Loading Emporium, nice folks to deal with.

Alden said:
Best? I would take either of the two Pedersoli Hawken rifles over a custom.

For the money the best value I myself would choose'd be a .50 T/C Hawken. Otherwise an OLD Lyman Great Plains Rifle if I really felt I needed that barrel length.

Pedersoli Hawken, they are a class act.

T/C Hawken, I will not admit to how many I have.

My favorite, is an older Hawken stock with a 15/16" barrel channel. Barrel is a Green Mountain 45 cal. 1/66" twist. Rear sight is T/C Contender Silhouett and the front is Lyman Globe. Trigger was changed to Davis Deer Slayer.

Unfortunately, the only things made today are the Davis triggers and the Lyman Globe sight.

Thanks to everyone....my budget is around $1,500 top end. I am leaning towards the Rocky Mountain Hawken in maple from Pedorsoli. Cabelas has them on sale now for $1,149 in maple wood.
I like the inspection period that some give. I will look at Track of the Wolf and see what they have too as well as several others mentioned.

I have several Renegades in 50 and 54 and love TC guns, but now really kicking myself that I sold my TC Hawken that I bought in the 70s. Best shooter I have owned too.
My Lyman GPR is same exact weight as the Pedorsoli Rocky Mtn Hawken and almost as long. I don't mind packing it while hunting, but those Renegades are nice for that when it comes to a lot of walking.

Jim Bob, is it that you're basically looking to upgrade to a finer rifle in this category first and foremost? That IS a damned smart gun you're leaning towards...

Back