• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is a swamped barrel??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it's been a VERY long, hot day (100° and at 6500' ASL the sun is intense) and I've got several more hours to go yet -
FWIW: I was in the process of editing my last post since I was admittedly a bit terse, but with no intention of being rude, but then I lost it to the computer "gawds"...
On the other hand I do stand by my earlier statment - I STRONGLY believe even the newbies should learn to do the research and not always depend on others for their answers. Forums of any ilk (and I'm a member and mod on several), IMO should be a place of sharing as much as a place of learning. I also believe that everyone should realize that offering research info can be time consuming and at times it seems to be too often a one way street and then it does get tiresome.... And FWIW I've frequently offered plenty of constructive info here despite the time and effort it takes and no I am not looking for a pat on the back or any such thing.....

Anyway - as I said such barrels do exist on both long guns and handguns, and can be primary documented (with all due respect to vendors there offerings should be cross referenced with period source no matter who they are)/
Off the top of my head and with a quick perusal of just a few resources:
1) Swamped octagon to round: The Turvey Rifle in the Rifles of Colonial America (a set of books any serious student of the subject should have) is just one and there are several others listed in other books as well such as English Guns and Rifles by George and British Pistols and Guns 1640-1843 by Glendenning.
2) Swamped full round: quite common on late flint era English trade and military pistols such as those built by Ketland - full round except for at times a small flat on either one or both sides of the breech. Also seen on English rifles of the period.

There are many books such as those already mentioned as well as those by DeWitt Bailey, Garavaglia and Worman, to name just a few that should be in anyones library or borrowed via ILL.
Other resources include the well respected auction houses who offer images and info of originals such as James D Julia, J C Devine, Cowans, and Gary Hendershott.........and that's just the tip of the iceberg..........

I believe "Swamped Barrel" is a modern term. I visited the Williamsburg Gun Shop in 1976 and used the term. I was swiftly corrected by Gary Brumfeld if I remember correctly, he called them 'tapered and flared'. Said 'swamped' was a 'Muzzle Blast's-ism' referring to the magazine.

I've used "tapered and flared" since! :redface:

I once filed a straight barrel to that profile. Took three hours per flat, but I was broke! :rotf:

Ben

Curiously the Mary Rose pattern musket is swamped, 1.43" at the breech, .98" at the muzzle but 10" back from the muzzle it's only .92"

That dates from the reign of Henry VIII 1509-47

Old technology but the Lord alone knows what they called it. Probably not "swamped" :rotf:

Most old barrels are either tapered and flared or tapered. You really don't get straight barrels much until the Industrial Revolution and the advent of machine tools. They would be harder to make by hand.

The Alderney wreck firearms are probably the same way although cannon technology had grown immensly since the Mary Rose.

I once filed a straight barrel to that profile. Took three hours per flat, but I was broke!

I have blank with a 15/16th channel and straight 1" barrel. What you did is kinda what I was planning to do. I'm now persuaded otherwise. :hatsoff:

Ben Coogle said:
I once filed a straight barrel to that profile. Took three hours per flat, but I was broke! :rotf:

Ben
Things like "reasonable shop rate" and "time is money" do tend to go out the window when you are flat broke, as do questions like "Gee, why don't you just by a surface grinder?" :grin:

Not to throw the thread off track but "tapered and flared" seems to be the proper way I've always heard them described. Still, "swamped" does have that homey, country, old timey sound to it.

Go to Track of The Wolf's web site and they have graphics showing swamped barrels in their barrel section.
Tapered and flared is not an accurate description since then often have a waist that has little or no taper for several inches close to the muzzle before flaring to the final dimension. Depends on the "swamp". The idea was to have sufficient breech thickness while still having a lighter weight gun. The increase in diameter at the muzzle allows a lower front sight.

Dan

Back