• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Happened to CLOSER?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I’m turkey hunting, I prefer to load up with #4 buck. Because the chances are much better I’m gonna end up with a nice shoat instead!

If a bird does happen out I just shoot ‘em in the face.

(Honestly I’d rather have the shoat).

I thinks is a better brag to see how close you can get. I've had a flock of them walk past at 3 yards while deer hunting, just sitting against a tree.
A turkey hunting fanatic friend once shot a Jake with his longbow. The bird took off running and after giving it a minute or two, he set out to finish the bird. Looked and looked and finally came upon a Jake trying without success to clear a pile of brush. Figuring it was his wounded bird Matt threw down the bow, caught it up against the brush pile and wrung it’s neck. Plucked the bird and found that it was unharmed. Well, except for the broken neck...

Carbon 6 , I m with you where I hunt deer there is a sizeable bunch of turkeys see them all the time I sit very still and the birds come very close had then at 3 to 4 yards at times. I seen a video a while back where a man laid along a sizeable log dug a opening under the log and called turkeys to him when the birds came up along the log he snatched one by the leg there was quite a rukus before he got it under control for the finishing touch ! gun who needs a gun.

I seen a video a while back where a man laid along a sizeable log dug a opening under the log and called turkeys to him when the birds came up along the log he snatched one by the leg there was quite a rukus before he got it under control for the finishing touch ! gun who needs a gun.

I can believe that

I wouldn't be grabbing ahold of any healthy Turkey!! Likely to kick a guys butt or maybe take out an eye.
There was a turkey farm down the road from our place growing up. I used to earn extra money loading trucks when they were ready to head for the processing plant. Those big toms can whack you pretty good with their wings but mostly they’re just trying to get loose.

I'm not sure I understand the jist of the discussion but just to be clear. California is not the only state going away from lead based ammo. Several states are banning lead on WMA's including Missouri. So if you want to hunt those areas it's steel, bismuth, or tungsten. Of the three, tungsten is the only one I'd try for turkeys out of my Smokepole. As for what the other guy uses or how far he shoots, and with what, as long as it's legal, I support my fellow outdoorsmen and their pursuit of happiness... And a flopping turkey.

I'm not sure I understand the jist of the discussion but just to be clear. California is not the only state going away from lead based ammo. Several states are banning lead on WMA's including Missouri. So if you want to hunt those areas it's steel, bismuth, or tungsten. Of the three, tungsten is the only one I'd try for turkeys out of my Smokepole. As for what the other guy uses or how far he shoots, and with what, as long as it's legal, I support my fellow outdoorsmen and their pursuit of happiness... And a flopping turkey.

Montana is pulling this manure on the Charles Russell refuge for upland birds. I don't know about the WMA sites, I will check and see. I don't have a lot of lead on hand, and the way things are going, I probably don't need a whole lot more.
Squint

Back