• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What got you started in this hobby/sport?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a money game, the man with the most to spend generally will have the most accurate rifle.

Be funny to have this guy let one of us black powder addicts shoot his gun and out do him! Then he'd throw it down and spend another 10K on a "better one" :rotf:

I think BP makes one a better all around shot myself, those kids I have mentored went on to be outstanding smokeless shots. One kid I taught to shoot with a crocket .32 went to Iraq as a sniper!

Thats what helped get me hooked was the fact it was old time and accurate, and the fact we spend a day at the range shooting 20-30 shots while our buddies burn through a brick of .22 (when they used to be available) makes us learn to make every shot count!

azmntman said:
Thats what helped get me hooked was the fact it was old time and accurate, and the fact we spend a day at the range shooting 20-30 shots while our buddies burn through a brick of .22 (when they used to be available) makes us learn to make every shot count!
That's very true. As for more expensive guns being more accurate, got that beat out of me years ago when guys with CVA Kentuckies or Mountain Rifles won matches against some really nice early handmade rifles! :doh:

Fancy wood, carving, engraving, and finishing does not make a $250 barrel more accurate than duct taping it to a 2x4.

Col. Batguano said:
Fancy wood, carving, engraving, and finishing does not make a $250 barrel more accurate than duct taping it to a 2x4.
YES! This can turn into a money-pit too. While I truly appreciate a good craftsman/artist's work, it does not necessarily mean the rifle will shoot any more accurately than a less expensive rifle. I once had a nicely dolled up Jaeger rifle, engraving, inlays, neat sliding wood patch box etc., built by a well known, well respected builder. The rifle was beautiful and I did enjoy owning it but it didn't shoot as well as a TC Hawken that I owned at the same time. Now I wish I'd kept that Jaeger to resolve the accuracy issues but your point is true and well taken.

For me it was wanting to be like my dad and shoot the old smokepole Hawkins and the .58 he had. I got the .58 when he passed. My brother got the Hawkins rifle and the custom built Pennsylvania my mind m had made up for him.

Back in the 80's my dad borrowed a CVA Kentucky in .45 from his buddy and took a small 4 point buck. After that he bought his own. I sent many a Buffalo Bullet and Hornady Great Plains out the barrel of that old gun. Never will forget my dad's younger brother told him to use a tablespoon of powder in the gun. The smoke and sparks that came out of that gun was unreal! Yeah, dad didn't do that again. Another time I was in awe when a guy who had a hunting camp next to ours had a .58 T/C Big Bore and he dropped a MicroMag light down the barrel. I always wanted a .58 after that, so this year the great wife of mine bought me a CVA Mountain Rifle in .58 caliber for a birthday/anniversary present. I do love the history that is attached to this hobby.

so this year the great wife of mine bought me a CVA Mountain Rifle in .58 caliber for a birthday/anniversary present

:photoSmile:

oh...a few of the gun too :rotf:

Old Ford said:
Well...my dad told me I was gonna go blind, if I did not give up my other past time, so I bumped into this BP stuff just about then, and have never quit.
Actually it is more fun and longer lasting than that other past time of which my father's concern of me going blind.
And it all started with an original real 1847 Walker Colt.Fred

Fred, you are the very first millionaire I've ever seen on this forum!

tac

Doesn't take a millionaire.
True story.
When my brother and I were teenagers, he acquired an 1873 Winchester rifle from an old gentleman. It was chambered in 44/40 and ammo was hard to get. On the barrel it was marked One in One Thousand. Trying to find information about it, he sent a letter to Winchester asking about the value of the rifle.

After waiting what seemed to be forever and receiving no reply, he decided to trade it off for an 1863 Springfield in good shape, a German Mauser, an old cavalry sword and several other items. What a deal...huh.

Well about a month after making the trade he received a reply from Winchester and you guessed it. They stated that the particular rifle was authentic and basically priceless.

Sadly what got me into the sport is one of those new fangled devices. But I was hooked and replaced it promptly with a proper side lock. And it has been bad since.

Andy

Well I got started shooting m/l a few years after I got out of the army. I had watched Dan & Davey on tv.On new years day 1978 MY wife and I went to my best friends place for dinner. When we drove into his yard there was a big boom and alot of smoke. As Uncle Sam had given me all the bullets that I could or needed to shoot I didn't care if I ever shot another weapon. My friend talked me trying that TC hawken. We did not know anything about m/l we shot that thing until we couldn't jam another round down that barrel. It's a wonder that we didn't ruin that barrel. I bought a cva kit the next day. That was 36yrs. Ago was shooting with him yesterday. We both have more m/lers than you like to clean at one time lol. Got the Foxfire 5 saw a article about the NMLRA and roondy-vous and was gone hook line and sinker. Have not shot a modern rifle in all that time. Been to 2 local vous this year so far quess I will keep going until they plant me. Just a rant.

I got started in the late 80's as another way
to hunt. Now if I can draw the tag it is the
only way to go. I have 4 side locks now and a
54 cal renegade on the Way i JUST LOVE IT.
Dan-L :wink:

Back