• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What does your hunting area look like?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've hunted East Texas when I was younger. I have hunted the Piney Woods area and down in The Big Thicket. It sure is thick in the Big Thicket and often you can see only a few yards. I never got lost in there but I did spend a couple hours not knowing just where the heck I was. I had a map and compass (before privately owned GPS came out) but the trouble is that much of the time there are few landmarks with which to get your bearings or it is so thick that you can't see far enough to get your bearings.

I never did find my way out and died in there......... :wink: ..Aw c'mon, you know a Texan has to tell a windy tale once in a while. No, I did get pretty turned around for a while but found my way out before it got plum dark.

thanks, it take a lot of work. I spend more time down there working than I do playing. It takes about 1.5 hours to get down there from my house.

The past few years I spent quite a few weekends down there with my youngest while he was bow hunting or deer hunting in the youth season.

I just got done building a 30x40 machine shed. My tractor does not know what it is like to be stored inside. I need to build work bench and wire the inside. The 8x8 storage shed will be turned into a bunk house for overflow. The mice have been served notice.

Fleener

Hey Choctaw ,Looks like a very good place ! Have always loved the plains. You fellows knock down some Burly old rooters, and some good WT. bucks, up Yonder ! ,,,DT

Billnpatti said:
I've hunted East Texas when I was younger. I have hunted the Piney Woods area and down in The Big Thicket. It sure is thick in the Big Thicket and often you can see only a few yards. I never got lost in there but I did spend a couple hours not knowing just where the heck I was. I had a map and compass (before privately owned GPS came out) but the trouble is that much of the time there are few landmarks with which to get your bearings or it is so thick that you can't see far enough to get your bearings.

I never did find my way out and died in there......... :wink: ..Aw c'mon, you know a Texan has to tell a windy tale once in a while. No, I did get pretty turned around for a while but found my way out before it got plum dark.

True Mountain Man type of story! :rotf:

I was out on a scout a couple of weeks back. This is only a partial look- low country and high country, with deer from the tide flats to the alpine peaks. In between are dense Sitka spruce forests, vast grasslands and miles of thick alder tangles. Lest you get any ideas about easy walking, the grass is over your head and full of trip hazards from sea level up to about 1100' elevation. Mix in a very healthy population of Kodiak brown bears, and you can usually find lots of entertainment. On this end of the island, the ptarmigan are only in that high country. Southern part of the island they stretch all the way down to sea level for some reason.

This country eats both hunters and guns for lunch. If you're not in shape and don't take care of your guns, might as well take up golf or politics.

Low country.

High country.

Very nice. You live on Kodiak Island? Been to AK 5 times, have not made it to the island yet.

Got invited to go Black Tail hunting on the Island quite a few years ago, but was not able to swing it.

Fleener

BrownBear that's some of the Creator's most beautiful work! It must be an adventure living there from day to day! I better never visit , cause it would be hard to whip! me back to Tx. after that! Thanks for showing the photo's. ,,DT

back yard hunting which basically consists of walking the dog around :haha:
00d18b52-f421-4399-b922-f7fd97a71e62.jpg

Then in Oklahoma a friend of my (Okie) on here allowed my father, brother and I to do some hog hunting on his lease. If you thought Oklahoma was flat and ugly with nothing to offer, its a true wake up call! A beautiful place to hunt for hogs. I especially liked the river setting.
IMG_6813.jpg

Colorado hunting area

FML that's some beautiful country. Wanted to go there in Colorado this season for ML. Mule Deer . But looks like I'll just dream of doing it another yr. Getting real close for you fellows right? Them Okies have some Bodacious Hog's and deer. ,,,DT

I've come to the conclusion that there are several fortunate hard working fun loving folks on this Forum. What an impressive collection of great photographs of different regions of or great Country. I sure that everyone here enjoys their place as much as I do mine. :hatsoff:

I agree Beautiful places , All of them. From the Texas/ Mexico, Border all through the states on up to Alaska. We are truly blessed to live in and hunt this Great Country. Thanks to all for sharing .,,,DT

Back