• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What does your hunting area look like?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grumpa said:
I wouldn't have thought you got snow down in 'bama.
That's some beautiful country you hunt, and that stream just looks delightful.

Everybody's pictures are enjoyable...makes me want to get out huntin'. :thumbsup:

Richard/Grumpa
I think it was back in 63' we had 18" just 40 or 50 miles North of Wattlebuster. I was a young lad and from what I remember and the pictures taken then it crippled the South for about a week. :shake: And don't forget the ice storm of 93' another one to make you stay home for awhile....

Great idea for a thread. Our place isn't pretty, but it is ours. These cabins are our deer/hog/turkey/quail/dove and fish camp. We have all the comforts of home and even my wife loves coming out here. If you look just through the gates you can see where the hogs have been rooting. Now imagine them doing that to wheat and cotton fields and you will see why they are treated as the vermin they are in Texas. :(

This ranch is very secluded. If the wind is not blowing the silence will make your ears ring. It is heaven for my family and me.

Looks pretty to me :idunno: If I had something like that I would be living in it instead of just a hunting camp :thumbsup:

I love all of the photos. My favorites are the ones of the Midwest and northern woods. I love that country and miss it. My hunting area (I have no photos) is typical Central Texas with flat to rolling hills, brushy, covered with oak, cedar, cactus and mesquite. The deer are plentiful but small. Almost all hunting is done from either ground blinds or elevated blinds and baiting is legal. Corn feeders are common. The down side is that there is precious little public land compared to many states and most land is privately owned ranches. Hunting leases are pretty pricy. Even day leasing can be pretty darned pricy with opening weekend costing from $300 and up for the two days. If you hunt South Texas or other game managed areas, you are likely to have to pay a "trophy fee" for each deer killed in addition to the base hunting fee which can cost in the thousands in those areas. Hunting in Texas ain't cheap.

Squirrel Tail, what the heck are you holding in that photo? It looks like the biggest squirrel I have ever seen. I know it can't possibly be a squirrel because squirrels don't grow that big. What is it????? :confused:

Choctaw said:
Thank you, but your place is simply beautiful, as are the others posting to this thread. To hunt in woods like that is only a dream for me.
Choctaw you would awaken from that dream real quick if you got caught up in some of the saw briars we have here lol :haha: It's not to bad when you going into the stands most of us have cleared paths in. It's when you have to trail one after a shot. I swear this country has some of the meanest briars I've ever seen. Of course I know in the West everything there will bite you or stick you as well.

We call em sawbrairs around here John cause they cut just like a saw, Quick mean an nasty. Thats why I like the big calibers so maybe it puts em down before you have to lose a fight to the sawbrairs :surrender:

Some fine looking country you fellows are posting photos of. Have hunted the S/W open country most of my life , and it has its challenges. But I have hunted in the Pineywoods of East Tx. in my youth and do know how hard it is to get into a deers terirory without being detected. They know their back yard pretty good! Most times not hard to spot game in my country , but if you choose to hunt with a Traditional muzzleloader as I do . Getting into range is the hard part. And most times there are more than a few set's of eyes. The other thing is I aint got near as many trees to lean my gun on.LOL. By the way thats a beauty of a flintlock there Wattlebuster!

That's what I'm talking about Allen . I know them well. I have twisted many of squirrels out with a nice big ole sawbriar . That's one reason I got the 16 ga. It should make one leak out quicker for sure. :thumbsup: I got tangled up in a thicket down there in Colbert Co. along Bear Ck. one time after a slick head I had stuck and like to have tore the coveralls right off my back. I ended up in Bear Ck. to make the recovery.....by the way going into the creek wasn't planned ....... :shake: :redface:

Here's one of my favorite areas to hunt.

Overnight20outing20178.jpg

Overnight20outing20197.jpg

The ridge in the second picture with the three meadows is a great area. I saw this elk in the big clearing (just off center in the second pic) while I was scouting the area a few years back.

Stored20Pics20From20Z61220Camera20068.jpg

pab1 I can sure see why that would be a favorite to hunt. Simply beautiful country. That's a place I'd like to be in another month or two! Thanks for the pic's! ,,,DT

Great Pics Pab1 :thumbsup: I'm afraid if I ever got to hunt in a place like that , I would just stay out there. :thumbsup:

Billnpatti said:
Squirrel Tail, what the heck are you holding in that photo? It looks like the biggest squirrel I have ever seen. I know it can't possibly be a squirrel because squirrels don't grow that big. What is it????? :confused:

Yeah, that's my trained squirrel-hunting gray fox. :wink:
I see what you mean about it looking alive, never noticed that before. But it's dead.

I thought, 'ya know, I see a lot of people posing with their deer, never saw anyone pose with their fox', so I took a picture. :grin:

19 years ago I talked my wife into letting me buy a place to play. My farm is in southern Iowa, where land is rougher than central Iowa.

The place is a mix of CRP and hard wood timber, and 2 ponds.

I have setup a couple of shooting ranges. One out to 75 yards with hanging steel targets and I have a set of the round ball sil. targets like at Freiendship out to 200 yards. I also have a set of regular sil. animals out to 500 yards.

Both my boys and myself have taken quite a few deer, turkey, squirrels, pheasant, ducks, quail, rabbits and fish.

This will be our 19th year to host a ML rendezvous in September (you should come this year). We have had a few father son camp outs and we have had 19 annual rabbit hunts held in February.

In 2000 I built a log cabin from scratch. We had an old fashion cabin raising party. All the interior wood and cabinets are out of the logs

The place is a lot of fun, but it is also a lot of work. Spent 12 hours working down there yesterday.

Fleener

Wow Fleener , that is a beautiful place . The wooded hillside and grassy pasture are what I picture in my mind as the Midwest . The cabin is Great . I would have a hard time staying away from that . Looks like a place of comfort and relaxation. We all need our piece of Heaven to escape to. Thanks for a look at yours! ,,DT Ron Wehmeyer

Back