• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you set your oven on??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billhuntz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When I cook in my dutch oven I set it inside my webber grill. Theoven has legs on it and they fall through the spaces in the grate. I'm thinking about a piece of scrap iron in the bottom. I am not sure how thick it should be, Does anyone have a suggestion?

Set it directly on the coals and if you have the flat lid put coals on top of that too. That's how the legged models are intended to be used. If you have one like mine, no legs and a rounded lid, it is meant to be hung over the coals or set on a grate. Bon Appetit!

I use mine inside a Weber also. I drilled a bunch of air holes in a piece of sheet metal. I set this down on the charcoal grate, light the charcoal on top of it and set the dutch oven on it. It doesn't fall through that way. You can put coals on the lid and the grill helps to break the wind. The thin sheet metal I used does burn through every now and then, but it's no big deal to make another, or just make it from thicker metal to start with.

Thanks ya'all. It's hard to balance the oven on the grate. I thought charcoal would burn through light metal so I was thinking of 1/4 inch or so. I guess it's not a big deal to get a new chunk when the one you're using burns through.

I also thought about a big lid with the handle cut off.

We use our's in the webber a lot. I cut a piece of sheet steel out of some scrap. It is round and sits on the coal grate. Works well as the Webber works good as a wind break. We also use the "legged" dutch ovens in the kitchen range. use a metal cookie sheet over one rack to keep legs from getting hung up in the rack and remove the others.

Old farm disc blades work perfectly and are available in differant sizes.

I took a stainless steel side shelf from a fairly high end propane grill, turned it upside down and drilled four holes in the corners. I used galvanized pipe as legs through the holes, made fast with pipe caps and secured with washer-nuts. The raised back and sloping sides helps to concentrate the heat onto my 10" Dutch Oven, and the small lip left in the front of it keeps most charcoal from falling out. If I use it on bare ground I press the legs into it to keep it stable, otherwise I use a couple of small braces I made. Works great. Most people who've seen it ask where they can buy one. (I'll try to snap some pics if you're interested.) It's easy to disassemble and transport, and works well at RV campgrounds.

Still, my favorite is just to cook on the ground over a good bed of campfire coals.

Bill,
I use my D/O with legs on the grill on
occasion and I can usually rotate it till the
legs allow the oven to sit flush on grill Depending on what I am cooking I may set it directly on the coals.
Just an opinion :hmm:
snake-eyes :v

Thanks ya'all I can get it to balance on the grate but I'm gonna try to find a rusty old harrow disc from one of the local farmers.

when I dont cook directly on the ground, I build my coals on either an old steel barrel top or metal garbage canlid.Saves the ground. I also have used 8x16 bricks.
the barrel lid on top of some bricks works well and have evenfired up the kitchen on paved parking lots with zero damage!

Lslite said:
Old farm disc blades work perfectly and are available in differant sizes.

Put yourself some handles on them. Makes them easier to move, hot or cold :thumbsup:

Just my two cents worth!

Billhuntz said:
Thanks ya'all. It's hard to balance the oven on the grate. I thought charcoal would burn through light metal so I was thinking of 1/4 inch or so. I guess it's not a big deal to get a new chunk when the one you're using burns through.

It would take a lot more heat that a coal fire to burn through cast iron. I found this image on the web that shows how to use coals on the lid to provide heat from both sides of the oven.

outdoor%20dutch%20oven%20cooking.jpg

Not being able to afford/too lazy to buy/make the fancy stuff that everyone else has mentioned, I just clear a little bare earth, put my coals on that and then set my dutch on the coals with more on the lid. When everything is done cooking I toe dirt over the space that I've just used and pour a little water on top of of it. Next time I want to cook, I do it all over again, sometimes in the same spot, sometimes in a different spot. Nothing burns through and I never have to replace anything...

I guess maybe that's too simple? :wink:

The Kansan said:
I just clear a little bare earth, put my coals on that and then set my dutch on the coals with more on the lid. When everything is done cooking I toe dirt over the space that I've just used and pour a little water on top of of it. Next time I want to cook, I do it all over again, sometimes in the same spot, sometimes in a different spot. Nothing burns through and I never have to replace anything...

I guess maybe that's too simple? :wink:

I do it the same way.. well at least 99 9/10s of the time... the other 1/10 I have an old oil pan, you know the metal kind you drain your oil into.. and a couple of bricks.. usually I use this setup when I am demonstrating and they dont want a burned spot on their grass :wink:

hey kansan,
you are lucky, all we have for a yard in ca. is a patio and a pool. no dirt for cooking.. :( :shake: :(

..ttfn..grampa..

xxgrampa said:
hey kansan,
you are lucky, all we have for a yard in ca. is a patio and a pool. no dirt for cooking.. :( :shake: :(

..ttfn..grampa..
Thats a easy fix xxgramdpa, fill the pool with dirt. Put your camp site on one end and a small garden on the other end. :wink:

Forget about a balancing act on the Webber!....Just set your DO directly on the bed of coals and some on the top!....Most people use to many coals anyway...Works great every time! :thumbsup:

Rick

Back