• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you love to hunt the most?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherring

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering what yalls favorite animal to hunt is? I know everybody loves to hunt deer, but what do yall think is the most fun hunting. For me its squirrels. Lots more opportunity. Lots more shooting. I have some buddies around here that I hunt with. We get together and hunt squirrels dressed as settlers in South Carolina in the 1770's using only flint long rifles. We gather around noon and cook a meal and coffee on a small fire. That is some fun.

I'm at the point in my hunting life that just being out there is the most enjoyable, but I have to admit, I really like hunting turkeys. :thumbsup:

I like them Bear. Bear fat is the best for patch lube. The meat on a bears face & head is the best for eatin'.

Squirrels are sure allot of fun. I tired turkey hunting this spring and added a new chapter of game to hunt. Before that though, I found a reason to have shotguns when I discovered dove hunting. That is just way to much fun, especially if you want to hunt with friends. Lots of good natured ribbing about easy shots missed and inpossible shot made. I really am looking forward to doing it all.

Rabbits because there is more of an adrenaline rush because you don't sit and wait for them you go and get them. Also because they taste better than squirrels.

I spend all year preparing for Whitetails and when the season arrives only bad weather keeps me from the woods...and sometimes not even that.

My favorite game to hunt is...squirrels in August, doves in September, deer in October (bow), deer in November/December, rabbits in December/January, coyotes in January/February, sheds in March, turkeys in April/May, and the Lazy Boy in June/July in preparation of starting all over again in August!! Only three more weeks until squirrel season opens!!

As much as I enjoy hunting deer and turkey, I am getting more into predator hunting the last few years.
This is rewarding as you are trying to outwit a hunter with keen senses. Pretty cool having Coyotes,Fox and Bobcats (not legal to shoot here) come into your setup. I hunt them mid to late Winter so I have the woods pretty much to myself.

Sounds like you have a great time with friends and those squirrels. Starting this year I'll be hunting in period clothing as well.

Here's my preference in order: Squirrels, rabbits, birds, and then deer.

As a recreation, hunting the small animals takes almost no planning and so I think they're more fun. Deer however, is unique because of the frame mind that it puts you in assuming you hunt on the ground. It's a much more "deeper" type of hunting.

I've always loved the opening morning of dove season. Lots of shooting with friends and family. Now that I'm using a 10ga double barrel muzzleloader it's even more fun. :grin: GW

definately squirrels,lots of action and lots of fun. and here in Missouri the season is open almost year round.

29caliber said:
My favorite game to hunt is...squirrels in August, doves in September, deer in October (bow), deer in November/December, rabbits in December/January, coyotes in January/February, sheds in March, turkeys in April/May, and the Lazy Boy in June/July in preparation of starting all over again in August!! Only three more weeks until squirrel season opens!!

This sound EXACTLY like my life, with one exception..... I no longer hunt doves. Years ago I hunted them a lot. This ended when I told my late grandpa that I liked to hunt dove and to my amazement, he hit the roof! He grew up believing that the dove was a symbol of peace and was to never be killed. I explained that they were considered gamebirds to no avail. His reaction has never been lost on me and out of respect for one of the greatest men I ever knew, I wouldn't dream of killing another dove.

Let it be said...I hold no grudge toward any dove hunters. It's just not for me anymore.

hmmm...anything with a muzzleloader is my favorite. i love hunting small game with the muzzleloading rifles like squirrels,groundhogs,and this year im gonna try hunting coons with the loaders.
muzzleloading shotguns give me lots of enjoyment for squirrels,rabbits,and doves.
i also love hunting deer with muzzleloaders. but as i said before,i enjoy hunting anything with muzzleloaders.

Over time my hunting focus has shifted some, but I love hunting anything.
As a small boy I loved to sit in the barn loft with my Dad, on the lookout for marauding groundhogs down in the vegetable garden. I used a Marlin .22 rested over a hay bale. I really looked foreward to those days.
A few years later it was rabbit hunting with my beagle named "Trouble". Every weekend and often in the afternoons after school throughout the season my dog and I could be found roaming for miles across the fields around our small town. I loved rabbit hunting.
Still later I got my first "bird dog", an English Springer Spaniel that I named "Bird-in-hand Ben". For over 20 years I raised a series of Springer Spaniels. They flushed many quail, pheasant, woodcock, and ruffed grouse for me. Two of them, that first one, "Ben", and later "November Rose", were also pretty darn good waterfowl retrievers. I loved hunting both upland game birds and waterfowl with those dogs.
Throughout all those years, I have always loved deer hunting. In my early years, in my home state, deer were scarce. Just seeing one was a special occasion, and would raise the hair on the back of my neck. Even now, with deer plentifull in many areas, the very sight of one still excites me. I hunt other large game, bear and hogs mostly, but the whitetail deer tops my list.
Whatever the quarry is, I'm always ready for the hunt.

Dave, do you hunt doves with a bp shotgun? I have a 20ga flint fowler that I am going to use this year. Looking forward to the SC dove season. I shoot a 70/70 load of 2f goex in mine. That works out to about one oz of #6 shot.

Back