• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Do you all Think Of Triple 7 Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Triple Seven as it is my go to powder for hunting in a couple of my TC Hawken rifles. Shelf life is way better than a year! I have a can that was openned in 2009 and it is still producing groups of under an inch in my 45 cal Hawken with round balls.

I buy my triple 7 from my gun dealer for 20.99 a pound.He is fairly cheap on stuff.

I bought my sons rem 1858 for 260 and ordered my colt 1860 for 250 that is with shipping but there is good ol tax.It takes about a month to get them in from the supplier for uberti. I just wish goex was more eazy too find then going threw all these hoops and track it down and only finding a limited supply of it.That is why I don't shoot my flintlocks that much.

i just checked powder inc's goex prices. it's 22.95 for the 5 lb lot. that shipping/hazmat fee is already included in the price. swiss was 30 for the 5lb lot and sheutzen is 21 and change.

It worked well in my Kodiak Express .58 using 80 grains in one barrel and 90 in the other behind a PRB. Best groups/barrel regulation was with 100 grains of Goex 2f.

medic302 said:
i just checked powder inc's goex prices. it's 22.95 for the 5 lb lot. that shipping/hazmat fee is already included in the price. swiss was 30 for the 5lb lot and sheutzen is 21 and change.

I can buy Triple Seven here for that much and buy it one can at a time. Back in 2010 I stopped in at Friendship and got a good supply of Goex that will last me for a while.

I use Triple 7 2f in all my revolvers and in my caplock Hawken. So far as I'm concerned, its fantastic stuff, but then, I like shooting my guns as opposed to cleaning them. The easy cleanup means my caplock guns get fired a whole lot more than before.

Give 2f a try in your pistols. Less pressure, and in my guns, a bit more accuracy.

as said above a few times, you can find black powder for cheap if you look hard enough online. i recently bought 5 pounds of 2F and 5 pounds of 3F Schuetzen black powder for around $160 shipped ($16 per pound). i cant find a any sub powder for even close to that price here.

Up until today, I had tried it (T7) in two of my sidelocks, a .45 and a .50 TC hawken. I could not get decent groups in either gun with T7 FFFG.

Today I tried it in my .54 Lyman Trade rifle and Lo and Behold, it shot one ragged hole with 70 grains behind a PRB.

So, it depends on what the gun likes.

Pacobillie said:
Up until today, I had tried it (T7) in two of my sidelocks, a .45 and a .50 TC hawken. I could not get decent groups in either gun with T7 FFFG. Today I tried it in my .54 Lyman Trade rifle and Lo and Behold, it shot one ragged hole with 70 grains behind a PRB. So, it depends on what the gun likes.
That works out to 80.5 grains of 3f Goex, which is what my .54 does best with so maybe Triple 7 works better in larger caliber rifles?

Triple Seven 2F is a tack driver in my TC 45 caliber Hawken with patched round balls. Works very well in my 50's and 54 too.

Latest posts

Back