• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do I need?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_ce

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just bought a muzzleloader. A cheap 50 cal cva bobcat. What else do I need. I have only shot a muzzloader one time. I know that I would rather go the more traditinal way of muzzleloading rather than all of the new type of stuff they have. Also a big thing is I want this to be as cheap as posible.

So can you guy tell me what are the basic things I need to start having a good time with my muzzleloader?

Well the obvious, balls, patches, powder and caps.

Tools,

ball/bullet starter

Patch worm

Cleaning fluid (for the range)

High quality oil (to prevent rust after cleaning)

Powder measure

Powder flask

And most important...... A target :grin:

A screw-type ball puller for thos days when things don't go as planned.

Don't ask me how I know this. :hatsoff:

Do yourself a favor and read different threads on this forum about anything in question. Hit the search box. There was a thread on the Bobcat. Lots of good tips here.

chris_ce said:
Just bought a muzzleloader. A cheap 50 cal cva bobcat. What else do I need. I have only shot a muzzloader one time. I know that I would rather go the more traditinal way of muzzleloading rather than all of the new type of stuff they have. Also a big thing is I want this to be as cheap as posible.

So can you guy tell me what are the basic things I need to start having a good time with my muzzleloader?

Amongst other things a hard, flat, preferrably vertical surface, ta bang your head against repeatedly ... for those days where everthing really goes down the tubes! :rotf:

Davy

Some .490 or .495 diameter pure lead balls (Hornady/Speer = about $9/100)

Some caps. Buy #11, any brand (CCI Magnum if your shooting reproduction black powder)

Real Black Powder 2F or 3F. (If not available Pyrodex RS, or similar Black Powder substitutes)

Cleaning Jag (brass button for ramrod in .50 cal)
Cloth patches (not cleaning patches. look for .015 or .018 thick).

Patch Lube (Crisco or spit will work. Do not use petrolium based grease).

Powder measure (50-100 grain capability)

Bullet Short starter (or make you own from block of wood and (1) 3/8 dia X 3/8 long and (1) 3/8 dia X 4 long wood dowel rod)

Nipple Wrench (to remove cap nipple).

Powder Flask or plastic spout for powder container. I have one that must be cheap and screws onto a Pyrodex Bottle. Do NOT load the barrel directly from this. Pour the powder into the measure, then pour the measures powder into the gun.

That's about the bare bones requirement.

Do not buy shotgun size cleaning patches to clean the bore between shots or at the end of the day. The large patches will bind up in the barrel and be dam near impossible to remove. The .45 Pistol cleaning patches work well.

Another thing you will want after shooting this

rifle, will be another one!!!!!!!!! So start

saving your money, this is defiantly addictive

just ask me....... :grin: :grin: :grin:

Another thing you will want after shooting this

rifle, will be another one!!!!!!!!! So start

saving your money, this is defiantly addictive

just ask me.......

I bought a CVA Bobcat at Wal-Mart ... 3 month later I bought a T/C Hawkins. Yup addictive. Only thing I would recommend is wait a bit longer until you know what you really want. I am now looking at 54 cal or 20 ga smoothbore. When will the madness stop.

I didn't see a Nipple Pick listed. You need one. My Bobcat's nipple tended to get clogged up with crud after about 5 shots. Also Diaper Fannel 100% cotton ~$2 a yard at Wal-Mart works great as cleaning patches.

The one thing that will happen eventualy is you will forget to put your powder in before the ball so you can use a scew jag but there are better ways to get that old ball out of there. Also it seems like you have the desire, the other thing is to have or make a friend that is already an experienced black powder shooter. They can save you alot of troubles.
Bob

Roundballs is correct,the screw-type pullers aren't the best.they make a co2 device that blows them out,but not readily available near me for some reason.cost?
We stuck a ball and when the screw device failed we cut it off to get more bite,and out it came.We now carry a new one and a blunt-nosed one.
Not that we'll ever need it again. :rotf:

I agree, finding someone who knows what their doing to help at the shooting range is nice but lacking that, I think this Forum is almost as good.

I mean, just look at this post. A guy comes in and tells us he just got a new gun and asks for some help. He's already recieved 10 responces.
Only In America! (and on Claudes website :) )

The reason I omitted the ball screw is I personally hate the things. That is also why I made a point of including a nipple wrench. I much prefer the powder trickle method (or the CO2 discharger).

Chris ce: If you forget to load the powder, remove the nipple. Carefully pour some powder into the hole where the nipple was located. Tap the gun gently to make the powder fall down into the guns bore. Do this several times so the breech will end up with three or more grains (weight) of powder, then screw the nipple back in.
Place a precussion cap on the nipple and point the gun downrange and pull the trigger.
You should get a very mild POP with some smoke coming out of the muzzle and see the ball skip downrange as the patch flutters to the ground.
After doing this, and before loading the next shot, run the ramrod down the bore making sure it goes all the way to the breech.
If the ball is still in the barrel, ram it back down and repeat the above procedure.

I think I only personally know one other person that has a muzzleloader. He is new at it also and I think I have already learned more on this site than he knows. I am in a 4x4 club and we have a lot of gun nuts in it but I don't know if any shoot BP. So as I get more into I'm sure I will be spending a lot more time here.
I am going to look into the co2 thing. Do you still need to soak the gun in water if you use the co2 method?

Do not soak your gun in water unless of course, you are cleaning it. Speaking of cleaning it, and you being new to BP, some soap and water are all that is required to clean your bore. Just remember, Black Powder and Pyrodex both will cause your bore to rust if you don't clean it after your done shooting.

If you use the CO2 ball discharger you apply it to the nipple of the gun and activate it.
Be sure to point the gun downrange because the CO2 will blow the ball (and powder if present) out with a fairly high velocity.

Maybe another thought to drop in here is for safety. Run your ramrod down the barrel and mark it right now with no load, and again right after the first starting load at least temporarily again for reference. Then once you have your preferred load decided on mark it permanent for that load - other marks as needed if shooting both RB and maxi's / hunting or target loads. Then write down which mark is for which load. The marks will give you some idea what is or is not in the barrel if you loose track or get distracted while loading (no charge, dry ball, double ball, double charge, etc).

You'd be surprized how many of us with many years of shooting black still screw up sometimes, so this is a good safety check.

Chris, make sure to get either a fouling scraper or a breech brush, very important! Got to clean the breech end of the rifle. Also, get some good cleaning patches. I grt mine from Pro-Shot out of Taylorville, IL. One other thing I have to recommend is this, a nipple charger! I know that Zonie mentioned the C02 gadget, it works great. But, for half the price you can get a nipple priming flask that will do the same exact thing. One more thing, should you decide to stick with muzzleoading, you're definately going to be purchasing lot's of new gadgets and accutrements. It's just part of the addiction! Welcome!!!

Walks Alone, That sounds like a tip I could use to keep from blowing myself up. :grin:

Back