• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What division would you shoot a shot gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarlScott

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I may go ahead and bite the bullet and pick up that shotgun mentioned in my previous post -- So if I run patched ball in it would I qualify for the trade gun divisions in Rendezvous?

Moot point Ladies and Gentlemen-- things did not pass the sniff test and I decided against the purchase.

Trade Gun matches usually require flint lock, no set trigger, and no rear sight. The front bead would be OK.
Each rendezvous will have it's own set of rules tho. You'd have to check with those who are running the shoot.

I beleive Jethro,
I don't have a trade gun so I never really paid attention to the specific rules.
I do know they're set for just a basic gun with nun of the frills

I've shot a lot of trade gun shoots and front sights have always been OK. Once at a shoot a shooter had a rear sight but promised not to use it so they let him shoot anyway. I'm still trying to figure out how he didn't use it????????????
Deadeye
Shotgun would be for the Trapshoot Division.

Depends upon the Club holding the Match. One Club I'm a member of told me to use my SxS 10 ga. with patched round balls and the other Club told me to remove my sight midway on the rib between the two barrels.

Most folks (like me) just want to enjoy themselves shooting. Some times at small Matches you need to ask ahead of time to make sure it's O-K. I always brought a back-up, so no worries.

At a major Match like a Territorial, strict rules are in place to prevent "gaming" like putting an inch-high screw into the rear of the barrel and thus enabling you to use it as a rear sight.....

NMLRA rules are that no rear sight can be above the plane of the barrel on a smoothbore. Notches in the tang and large tang screws are allowed. Front sights are expected.

If a smoothbore has a regular rear sight then it is a smoothrifle and may have to compete as a rifle if there aren't special smoothrifle matches.

Many Klatch

Back