• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Constitutes Safe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaman

40 Cal
Reaction score
With a bolt-action centerfire rifle, if you have a cold chamber, the firearm is completely safe. The world will end before chance causes a round to go up the spout and the primer to fire.

With a caplock, you can remove the cap and have close to the same state.

Now I'm sitting with a Brown Bess musket, and it is nearing the eve of Early ML season here in the Kentuck. I don't have an answer. I'm guessing that if I put powder and ball down the barrel, and don't prime the pan and put a hammerstall over the frizzen, I have achieved the flinters' version of "safe." Howevever, it's better to ask the question than wind up dead.

What do you guys consider safe with a flintlock?

Yup, basically what @appalichian hunter said.
Now, I do alter the touch hole plug thing a bit. I always store my flintlocks with the touch hole plugged, so, I dyed the outside end of some of the plugs red. Red plug = charged barrel.

Do keep in mind that it is possible for a flintlock to fire with no prime in the pan, so, the frizzen stall and plugged both are good ideas.

State game laws vary. NJ says" a loaded barrel without a percussion cap in place is considered safe. Flintlock with the hammer own, no prime in the pan and frizzen open is safe also".
Connecticut law considers those same conditions as "unloaded."
But, as can be attested to, a flintlock can be fired with no prime in the pan, better to take an extra step and plug that flash hole.

Better to be safe than have a accident, also never had this happen, but would think a game warden if he stopped by would appreciate the extra steps once you explained it to him.

Why take the chance, Mr. Mruphy has a tendency to pal aound with me at times, and a stall is easy project. If no stall is available, I have used in the past a small acorn, open the frizzen wipe the pan clean place a small acorn in the pan rest the frizzen on the acorn, lower the cock aginst the opened frizzen.

What about having the hammer all the forward and the frizzen open?
Sure, the gun can't go off from the flint striking the frizzen under these conditions. As long as nothing else is available to introduce spark or flame, you're good. As long as nothing hits the frizzen and flips it closed and nothing drops the flintlock, your good.

But, also, plugging the hole helps seal out moisture.

Legally (most places) a flintlock is unloaded when the prime has been removed. But that's "legally". Now for "safe" and that's a subjective term. For hunting I carried the rifle primed but with a leather frizzen cover and the cock at half cock. I consider that safe in my hands while roaming the bush. At the range my definition of safe is different. There the gun will be unprimed and with no charge in the bore; that's as safe as you can get with a flintlock. All loading is done immediately prior to the shot.

Back