• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what c&b pistol to get.............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
i'm thinking of getting a .36 c&b to go with a .36 flintlock rifle fer small game hunting....i'm looking at uberti's 1858 new army so i can use the same ammo....lets hear from ya guys that know :v ................bob

You're not going to be able to use the same ammo unless your rifle shoots a really oversize ball. C&B revolvers use an oversize lead ball (.370 for the .36 if memory serves) to get a good seal in the chambers.

ok same ammo is out as i was looking around since i posted this....what bout the uberti 1858 new army then....i like the top strap style and the strengh it adds :v ............bob

If you just want one for fun and plinking i would check out the Uberti '51 Navy. There is not another gun made that has the feel of the Navy Colt. But the '58 Rem. is a good gun too, probably a bit stronger than the Colt style.

Many shooters find that the ergonomics of the Remington are poor, as the grip to hammer to trigger relationships are quite different from a Colt. The Colts balance better too. In truth, the durability is good with either revolver. One advantage to the Colts is the availability of Dragoon models. These big .44s will have more power than a .36 rifle and make fine back up guns.
And then there's the Walker.....

Even with the ammo problem, you can't beat the 51 Navy. The large base pin is less prone to foul and spent caps clear the fram better than the Remington.

the Rem. Army model can be had with adjustable sights - give that some thought if you want squirell head accuracy. I don't hunt 'em with mine but 20 paces and golf ball size groups (.44 bore)

I like the remington because of the fast reloads.
Buy one or two extra cylinders, a couple of cylinder pouches for your belt.
With pre loaded cylinders you can reload the remington really fast.
remington.jpg

I posted this earlier and got mixed ideas, but maybe you guys have an opinion: I found a Euroarms .44 New Army (also has "Brescia" marking) at a local pawn shop. Asking $199. Will take $130/tax. It has been fired, but appears in excellent condition. Anyone have an opinion on quality or fair price?

Hee, hee, hee!
white buffalo (or Bob, as we used to know him), I think ole Russ T Frizzen is trying to pull one on you.
If you try clumping around in the woods for a day with a Dragoon hanging on your hip, you'll be too tired to skin any squirrel or rabbit that you might get. :rotf:

If you like the Remington then by all means get one. They come in .36 cal as well as .44, but...I have to agree with ole Rusty on one thing.
The Remington just feels a bit awkward to me while the '51 colt seems to be almost an extension of my arm when I'm holding one.

zonie :)

130 bucks is a good deal if it's in good shape. if I was going to spend 199 I'd put a lil more with it and get a Uberti.

I have a pair of '51's I use for cowbow action shooting, love 'em. In fact I am thinking about getting another pair of '61's just because I can.

82 airborne said:
I like the remington because of the fast reloads.
Buy one or two extra cylinders, a couple of cylinder pouches for your belt.
With pre loaded cylinders you can reload the remington really fast.
remington.jpg

just like clint eastwood in pale rider, gotch ya :rotf: :v .................bob

Zonie--the best cure for the lopsided walk that a holstered Dragoon causes is to have two of them--one on each hip. Just don't fall in a river while so armed.

Russ T Frizzen said:
Zonie--the best cure for the lopsided walk that a holstered Dragoon causes is to have two of them--one on each hip. Just don't fall in a river while so armed.

Well, if you can talk ole Bob into doing that, after his first hunt he'll have to change his name again. This time it will be "Exhausted Buffalo". :rotf:
zonie :)

what lube do you use on the cylinder pin? I have been using NL1000 or Go-Jo white but still after 3rd cylinder shot binding occurs - not a big problem, I just pull the pin and relube but something that lasts another couple cylinders would be convenient.

Are you having trouble with just the cylinder pin too? I switched to Master's Synthetic Grease GS-2 and my problem just about went away!! Lookem up @[url] www.MastersGunCare.com[/url]...The big Walker cylinder loves the stuff. I also use Butch's Bore Shine first to scrub it real good with a couple of new patches that aren't too "linty" if you know what I mean. Dissolves the BP leftovers on contact so I don't have to "water" that part of the gun at all. The Bore Shine evaporates, leaving a slight residue that this grease loves. After cleaning, the cylinder use to almost bind-up as I would cock the hammer...NOT NO MORE. :winking: . Great in the cold too...use it on my .45 ACP Colt clones to great effect. Comes with a pin point tip so it fits in any range box/bag :) . Hope this helps, Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm partial to the 1851 Navy. Mine is a tack driver.

Of course, it wasn't at the time of purchase, but with a little file work, it's now shooting point of aim at 15 yards.

By the way, you don't want to file down the hammer shroud where the rear sight is. That shroud is there for containing cap debris. You can lower the notch safely, however, and that's what I do.

Dan

Back