• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what brand of BP most used in muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Goex. There are three reasons:

1) Works well. (Very well actually).

2) Available locally.

3) Made in USA.

The second two would not count if the first (good quality) was not there - but since it is, I feel that I should support the local shop & the US maker.

Claude said:
roundball said:
Goex...IMO its the best combination of price/performance on the market considering all the important aspects of ignition speed, accuracy, fouling, price, and its made right here in the USA.

What he said! :thumbsup:

Yup!

USA, USA, USA....

:hatsoff:

HD

I have three of the major brands
Swiss, Goex, Shutzen.
They ALL work well.
The next time I buy powder it's going to be GOEX.
Why??? It's not the cleanest, or the hottest..
But it's American made and I am tired of forgine made.
My advise would be to buy at least 10 to 20lbs.. This will guarantee that you have a large lot to shoot from. Plus you never know when they are going to cut off the supply

I prefer Swiss, but I mostly use Goex because it's quite a bit cheaper. Swiss is more consistent and gives a little better velocity. It's just too pricey to by my regular powder though. Goex is the powder I have used for more than 30 years, so I'm comfy with it. I made a bulk purchase from Powder Inc., about a year and a half back or so. They had pretty fair prices back then. I haven't checked recently.

I tried Elephant once. That stuff was downright nasty. Avoid it if at all possible.

Goex. It's the only 'real' BP available I can find in Ontario. It suits me fine and I wouldn't try any others if I could.

Nor Cal Mikie said:
Goex can be had for about $15.00 a pound from Powder Inc. with shipping included! :wink:
Just got 10 cans and split it with 2 other shooters.

Had you ordered 25 lbs it would have cost you $11.85 per lb. at your door.

Salt

Thanks for the honest opinions. Uncle Mike, you happen to strike a chord, after the events of the day at work today. Another union shop that makes a product for the largest appliance maker in the world (my current employer) is laying off again (500 jobs lost locally two years ago, 300 expected this year locally). The jobs are going overseas, not south. So to support the few remaining production jobs left in this country, Goex it is cost be darned.

Keith

I always thought Elephant "gunpowder" was actually dried up elephant dung ground to FFg. :rotf:

-Ray

This is my opinion.

"Made in the USA"

This is all well and good but buying American when it is inferior does not encourage an improved product.
There may be several reasons why our American powder maker is now catering to shooters. But the primary one is COMPETITION.
Swiss is a far better powder than anything else on the market. The BPCR shooters jumped on it since it is more like, if not identical to, the high grade powders of the 19th century. Something not seen in the US since C&H quite making Diamond Grain.
There were some VERY good powders made in the US prior to about 1900. But Dupont monopolized the explosives industry and when they were forced to divest the good powder was a thing of the past.
For a very long time, when Goex was the only game in town, they were not very friendly toward shooters. This has gradually changed. But if the importers of European powders fold Goex could easily revert to its old ways. Making powder for shooters interferes with their primary business which is the military. The powders used by the military are not what is needed for propellants but its all we had for most of the 20th century. As a result it was impossible to duplicate velocities obtained with 19th century powders with equal charge weights and it was impossible to get double rifles to "regulate". Dupont, and its successors would not do it & I have used them all. Swiss will.
Shooters here and elsewhere l complain of misfires and plugged powder channels in the breech etc etc. Its the result of shooting powder that produces large flakes of fouling if the breech design is good. I have a rifle with a Nock breech that will shoot all day with Swiss and will cease to function in 3 rounds with Schuetzen. I have not yet tried Goex.

So there is far more here than "buy American". In this case buying American might actually be counter productive to the buyer. I would LOVE to buy an American powder equal to the old American Powder Company "American Dead Shot" or Laflin & Rand's "Orange Extra". But we have no American maker of this grade of powder.
Thus I shoot Swiss. I do so in hopes that by providing a market for a superior product that SOMEONE in the US will make the right charcoal so we can have a similar powder made HERE.
Its the only lever I have.

Dan

I bought Graf's because I can't get BP locally and I've been happy with it so far. It's certainly cleaner burning than I remember Goex being. On my next order I plan to try some Swiss as well.

Back