• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what brand of BP most used in muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith44

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This may have been covered before, but I can't find it. I am going to be re-stocking on BP (real stuff) in a few weeks, and was curious what powder was used most by members here. When I was working with my .45-70 (trying to load bp cartridges for hunting) the most often recommended powder brand was Swiss. In muzzle loaders I've tried Elephant, Goex, and the remains of a can of Swiss. I can not really tell a difference in accuraccy, as long as a load is worked up for each different powder. In my experience Elephant proved a little weak (lower velocities) than the Goex, and Swiss a bit faster, but nothing significant. Any way now I see Goex is offering an "Express Blackpowder" that is "made from the finest quality materials...", and Wano has "bottled" some of their powder for Graf & Sons. What brings the question to the forum is have any of you tried either of these powders? Can a $10.00 can of powder be as good as an $18.00 can? There has to be more to it than marketing, hazmat, packaging, and lisences. But both have the same basic make up, both claim highest quality. The powders will be used in my .54's, and my soon to be .32.

All opinions welcomed.

Thanks Keith

Friends never let friends shoot Elephant. Nasty, dirty, hard to ignite, fouling, filthy, worthless stuff. Get ya some Goex, KIK, Grafs, or Scheutzin(sp) and have some fun.

I had to find real BP after building flintlocks. The only thing I could find was Elephant. Better than nothing (I guess). Since then, the dealer has changed to Schuetzen, which I have not been able to try yet, but have a couple cans/bottles. I'll (re)sight-in when I get to it. Elephant has worked fine, compared to Pyrodex in my cap locks. Can't wait to try Schuetzen. A cleaner burning powder would be nice.

Goex...IMO its the best combination of price/performance on the market considering all the important aspects of ignition speed, accuracy, fouling, price, and its made right here in the USA.

I think the Goex Express is simply competition for Swiss and IMO I don't think Goex has magically found some new formula to do it...in fact I'm not sure but what both of them have done nothing more than manipulate the granulation mix of powders so there is a faster buring granulation mix in a can that's marked 2F than there normally would have been...speculation of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your last question first, yes, there can be quite a difference in quality in real black powders. Those who make their own report much improved results in ignition times, velocities and energies when using high quality ingredients, and I surmise the same would be true with commercial manufacturers.

I use Goex due to local availability, or 777 when the Goex gets low. I have not used the new Goex Premium, so I don't know that it's worth the extra cost, I'm just assuming it could be based on the results of the homemade boys.

I've burnt many a pound of Goex, my last order from Graf's I bought several pounds of their brand (Graf's) and it does fine.

100% agree. I used Black Elephant years ago when I first began ML. In short order I ended up feeding the lawn with it. That is the dirtiest and most grease creating stuff that I know of. What do they make it from? Dead elephants?

In wandering up and down the line at the large shoots in Brady, TX, Goex seems to be the most popular. That says a lot when the competitive shooters use it.

RDE

I have used Goex since 1979. This year, I am going to try Graffs Powder for Rendezvous. Its cheap and Graffs is right up the road from where I live.

Headhunter

Simply put any good powder is going to work fine in your gun.
Goex will do the job at considerably less cost. And it s made in America.

The cost of a Europe made powder could also include additional shipping, and Exchange rate costs to your order of swiss in the future as well. That is the cost might start to go up due to Euro dollar price fluctuaions.

Developing a load to get accuracy is more a matter of matching the powder you choose to use to the gun you shoot with a particular bullet, patch and lube choice.

Add to this how you load your rifle and how much pressure you apply to the ball when you ram it home.

I shoot a lot and get great results with GOEX. A one hole group is a one hole group.

I would get 2f goex for the large caliber rifle and 3f for the bunny gun.

Then use the amount of money you save to increase the size of your order.

Hi,30 years ago people in the Chicago area sarted buying guns at "Sportmart".A Remington 870 Sportsman model 199.99.About $30.00 cheaper then small retailers in the area.(who only had classic 870's)They basically put the small guy out of business.After Sportmart the chain was put under pressure by Democrat politicians they stopped selling guns and ammo.They eventually went out of business.
What I'm saying is Goex is made in the USA.Support them if it's an extra $2 or $3;prorated over the amount of shots you get it's pennies or less.Regards and best wishes,Mike

Back