• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what are you proud of the most?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was the theme of a book I wish I had picked up when I saw it a while ago. Basically, they went around the Country to the top gun makers and posted pictures of muzzleloaders that went deep into the 5+ figures, they had gems in places I could not even believe was possible. So...pictures of mls you made that you are the proudest of?

I tried to look it up with no luck, wouldn't know it unless I got the chance to thumb through it anyways. They were all modern day masters if that part wasn't clear in my original description. I probably saw it five or six years ago, and it may be out of print if they didn't sell a lot of them.

Here's mine. Not a 5 figure gun, probably not even a 4 figure gun, but I am really proud of it and it has enormous sentimental value. I documented the whole build on another, teeny little site, owned and run by a good friend of mine. He really enjoyed seeing the project come to life. He passed away just a few months later, but every time I look over the gun, I remember how much he enjoyed the build. That alone makes me proud to have built it.

I've seen some high dollar guns , but nothing beats the beuty of a gun like yours :bow: (excpt I think you posted your photo backwards,,,looks like the lock is on the left side :shocked2: kinda of surprised a artist like youself didnt notice)

Captjoel said:
I would just about bet that this is the book that obi was referring to. http://www.amazon.com/Contemporary-Makers-Muzzle-Loading-Firearms/dp/0878333193[/quote]

sorry, no. although that does look like a fine book. the book I saw was around 150 pages by its size, glossy color photographs on heavy paper. the rifles were made at the bleeding edge of precision all around, even areas that would normally be a little rougher because you wouldn't see them were perfect with hidden details. many of the barrels were fully engraved. how they inlayed the precious stones into the stock was a riddle in itself: imagine a precious stone inlayed into wood with the only thing holding it in place where gentle relief carved "branches" covering them. just one jaw dropper after another...I thought they were gaudy at the time :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Obi wan (great name BTW), tenngun, Cowboys, little buffalo,

Thank you guys very much for the kind words. That rifle is one of the most important things to me.

flehto said:
That's a beautiful. slim LR....nice work.....Fred

Thank you, sir. It is much appreciated.

Dewd, that's one fine looking rifle, very well executed, I doubt I'll ever reach that level. BTW, don't pay no mind to Tenngun; the lock is on the CORRECT side, not the RIGHT side !! :hatsoff:

Thank you very much! I am getting better with positioning the lock, the first gun I built had the lock on upside down! (Underhammer) :haha:

I too really like your long rifle there Mountain Dewd! Your spinnaker there off to the side says that you are 17 years old? If that is so, you my young friend have a great life of gun building ahead of you! :thumbsup:

Captjoel said:
I too really like your long rifle there Mountain Dewd! Your spinnaker there off to the side says that you are 17 years old? If that is so, you my young friend have a great life of gun building ahead of you! :thumbsup:

Why thank you sir! That is indeed my age. I aspire to be able to build a gun like some of the "greats" are able to.

Interesting thought...

I have built a number of guns, and the 2 jeagers that I built for friends are probably better, but I am most proud of this "scratch build". I have one rifle left in me. My left hand fights me often after my neck surgery, and wood working is slowly sliding to the background.

MD_0021.jpg

Honestly, I am prouder of the historical coloring book that I made than any gun though. My art bounces around different media often.

That was a strange concept for me to consider because as soon as I finish a gun that I gave my best to I immediately think of any flaws and how I can do the next one better.
I guess I don't feel proud of any of them more like satisfied with the result. Things that are important to me are clean lines in the classic form, close inletting,well shaped and profiled butt stocks and forearms, uniform checkering and good streak and splotch free rust bluing.
Now I mostly do single shot black powder cartridge guns not muzzle loaders as a rule but have built a couple of rifles and pistol front stuffers an have a Lancaster flinter kit gun in mind in the next year or so.
I want to try my hand at a bit molding and carving and a few inlays.

Latest posts

Back