• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What are the rarest Ruger Old Army models?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethang

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello Everybody. I am not up on Old Army's other than they are not still in production. What Old Army models are the rarest?

what about the 7.5?
You asked for the rarest, not most popular. Don’t believe Ruger offered fixed sights until after over 20 years of production, and only offered the 5-1/2” option the last 7 or 8 years they were made. 5-1/2” barreled ROA with fixed sights would in my opinion be the rarest.

what about the 7.5?
The rarest in a 7.5" would be a 1976 Liberty (bicentennial) they only made it that year. I dont believe they made a 5.5" version iirc. It may actually be rarer than the sst 5.5" fixed sight but doesnt seem to be as highly sought after. I know i would rather have a 7.5" sst with adjustable sights of any year.

You asked for the rarest, not most popular. Don’t believe Ruger offered fixed sights until after over 20 years of production, and only offered the 5-1/2” option the last 7 or 8 years they were made. 5-1/2” barreled ROA with fixed sights would in my opinion be the rarest.

The fixed sight 5.5 was mentioned and my followup was about the SS/Fixed/7.5. I have not seen many fixed sight models for sale, as opposed to the adjustable sight models. My apologies if I did not specify that on the followup.

I believe the brass grip frame ROA model is the most rare.
When I shot SASS I saw quite a few with brass grip frames. The non adjustable sight model was the tough one to find, at least where I was shooting. Do not know if they were as originally sold with that brass grip or if it was a modification. Would see them on ROA and Blackhawks. Remember be told the brass grip frames were Ruger factory parts, but did not concern myself with verifying. Remember no markings on the ones I owned.

When I shot SASS I saw quite a few with brass grip frames. The non adjustable sight model was the tough one to find, at least where I was shooting. Do not know if they were as originally sold with that brass grip or if it was a modification. Would see them on ROA and Blackhawks. Remember be told the brass grip frames were Ruger factory parts, but did not concern myself with verifying. Remember no markings on the ones I owned.
The majority of brass framed ROA’s were probably factory. None of the fixed sight versions were issued with that grip frame but for a while someone manufactured a brass grip frame based on the Super Blackhawk frame. I have several times added the SB grip frame to Old Army revolvers. The best frame, imo…

Back