• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Whale Tail" J.P. Beck rifle, bench copy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt PA

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is the 3rd rifle in my Ron Luckenbill rifle trilogy :grin:

This one is an actual bench copy of an original JP Beck rifle made by Ron Luckenbill of Emporium, PA. Most "Copies" are interpretations made from pictures in a book, and if you're lucky enough you also can scrape up some usable measurements. Ron is friends with the guy who owns the original Beck rifle here in PA that this one was copied from. He was given unlimited access to it while he was building the gun to make sure all the details and dimensions were exact including the wood and metal colors and finishes. It's as close as I will ever come to shooting and owning an original J.P. Beck rifle.

The heart of the gun is a 47 1/4" octagon to round .45 rifled barrel custom made by Ed Rayl to the dimensions of the original. It has a highly modified small siler lock which includes a conversion to a bridle-less frizzen like the orginal. It has Beck's signature "whale tail" patchbox but the sideplate is unique and a little different from the squared heavily beveled style Beck normally used....both are copied exactly from the original.
It is so slender and graceful looking and even though the finished weight is only 7.5lbs I cant even describe how rock steady it holds!

I am fortunate to own some nice guns including the .54 Beck and Marshall rifles I posted earlier, but this one is pretty much my dream rifle.
20140908_184757_zps859a5c2d.jpg

20140908_184812_zps24d57a89.jpg

20140908_184841_zps53476200.jpg
20140908_184825_zps4fc90a0b.jpg
20140908_184900_zps0c3a2a8a.jpg
20140908_185002_zps85091193.jpg

"A thing of beauty is a joy to behold."

A friend of mine used to make copies of original rifles he would work on (quite a long turnaround time!).

He pointed out the obvious difference between the original and the copy - weight. Back in the 1700s, rifle makers were working with virgin timber. Today, we just don't have access to that dense a wood.

You are fortunate, indeed, to own such a fine rifle. Let us know how she shoots, and if you do take her a'huntin'. May you have a long lifetime of making good memories together. :hatsoff:

Grumpa,

She shoots pretty darn good! Quick as lightning and just needs a little tweaking on the windage and a couple more grains of powder.
This will be my "everyday" shooter and fall turkey rifle.

This is the last 5 shots of the day at 50yds.

20140907_195259_zps87f4d43c.jpg

2014-09-08162601_zps8c497da4.jpg

She's a looker. I would be proud as punch to get caress such a firearm :hatsoff:

Congratulations! I considered buying that rifle myself, but walked away with a fine Bucks Co. gun instead. I can only say good things about Ron and his guns.

rf50cal said:
Congratulations! I considered buying that rifle myself, but walked away with a fine Bucks Co. gun instead. I can only say good things about Ron and his guns.

I think I picked it up and put it down a dozen different times in the last 3 or 4 years. I've loved it since the first time I picked it up and finally couldn't take it anymore! It will be my everyday shooter and fall turkey rifle.

Ron sure knows his way around a Bucks Co. Rifle.....I bet its a dandy!

Ron sure does build a fine rifle. Congratulations on the new addition to the family. :grin: :grin:

Very nice! Especially at that price(I know what Ron was asking) it's worth every penny I'm sure.

Beautiful rifle! Just to show the similarities, here's an original JP Beck I got to photograph a few years back before it sold for beaucoup $$ at auction. It looks like Mr. Luckenbill's rifle is even more graceful than this particular original.

P7310283.jpg

P7310282.jpg

P7310285.jpg

I'm really glad you got to realize your dream - but now you need a new dream; as my father used to say, "The saddest guy in the world is the one who's got the last of whatever it was he was looking for, because then he's got nothing else to look for." :grin:

That just gives you an excuse to start saving up for something else.

Colmoultrie....thank you for posting those pictures! Ive been accumulating as many original Beck pictures as I can just because I find his guns so interesting.
Ive seen 3 originals now in person and one was very similar to the one Ron copied in stature and is very slim and graceful with an octagon/ round barrel as well but that one in in .42 cal....then you see one like the rifle featured in Dave Hansen's new book that looks beefy enough to use as a baseball bat!

Even though Beck's guns can vary in stature they all retain what feels like perfect proportions.....They seem to bore some people to death because they all at first glance seem so similar but I love them and all their subtle differences.

My rifle has the only counterplate of that style that Ive seen on a Beck and I think that is pretty cool! As far as I know I have the only copy of that particular original.

It's a cool rifle; that's for sure. I wish I had more pictures of the Beck for you, but I got to photograph a host of others, including a beautiful Peter Berry that was my personal favorite.

Now you need to show us pictures of the "trilogy" together!

I'll be shooting with Ron this Sunday at the Jefferson County (PA) Longrifles Club. It's our annual picnic and blanket shoot. Probably 3/4 of the guys (and ladies) there shoot Ron's guns.

The Jefferson County Historical Society raffles one of Ron's guns every year at our Gun and Artifact show in early September. The one he made for us this year was marked #258. He's made a few.......

BucksCo said:
I'll be shooting with Ron this Sunday at the Jefferson County (PA) Longrifles Club. It's our annual picnic and blanket shoot. Probably 3/4 of the guys (and ladies) there shoot Ron's guns.

The Jefferson County Historical Society raffles one of Ron's guns every year at our Gun and Artifact show in early September. The one he made for us this year was marked #258. He's made a few.......

I own #259 :thumbsup: as well as #233 and not sure what the Whale tail Beck is as he didnt engrave the # on that one just signed and dated. I would guess that one around #190-200?
One of my best friends owns a nice Isaac Haines .54 that Ron built as well. #240-250 somewhere.
Tell him I said hello.....one of these days we will come across the state to shoot with you guys.

Back