• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wet Weather Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If everything was guaranteed it really wouldn't really be hunting would it. Besides, sometimes the stories are as good as the actual hunt, and last longer.

OH for Chripes sake, is no one going to ask which lube or square or round patches or if said gun is "big enough" for deer or any of the important questions asked numerous times a week.
No need, we all know that octagonal patches to match the barrel are most accurate but need to be lubed with a mixture of raw unprocessed beeswax and graphite lubricant carefully cleaned from an 8 year old's pinewood derby car axels.

Of course, if the pan powder fails, then we have a "stuck ball situation," which, like Punxsutawney Phil seeing his shadow, means 6 more weeks of b......

Sorry to disappoint however these important issues never crossed my mind. Go figure.
Someone should have been "helpful" enough to ask for you.

look-see-im-helping.jpg

Some say that a pinch of wasp nest under a patch will help keep a patch from burning through, I wonder if it might possible give one more layer of protection should water get down the bore and passed the greased patch. I know 98% of the problem is through the vent liner but this post has goy me to thinking about extreme weather. I came in Saturday night with my rifle covered with ice and snow. It was pretty nice when I left the house. Fired off just fine carried the lock under my armpit or kept my mitten over the lock as a additional measure.

I too use a cow's knee and tuck my flintlock under my coat if it's raining/snowing. Mostly I'd rather stay home. 😉 But I do use a couple of rifle covers if the rain is heavy and I want to stay out. (1) is called the Rifle Rain Coat (www.mtmcase-gard.com) The one I have is probably 10 years old so they might not even be in business now. It works, but it's noisy when the temperature gets below freezing. Think potato chip sack.
(2) is Panther Primitive's Oilskin Gun Cover Case for about $20.00. It's very effective, but can be slow to get a rifle out of it quickly. In that respect the cover in Trade Blanket (cdlyles.com) would be quicker.

I use deer tallow as a seal around my frizzen. My builder was also very careful to get everything fitted as close as possible. But I also keep my lyman's great plains percussion handy. Take the primer powder out of my bag and put in some caps.

I use deer tallow as a seal around my frizzen. My builder was also very careful to get everything fitted as close as possible. But I also keep my lyman's great plains percussion handy. Take the primer powder out of my bag and put in some caps.
To bad we can only use flints in our "late season".

I frequently hunt light rain/drizzle/fog. Like others, I have not had ignition issues when I take some precautions. Basically, I keep the muzzle down, use a well fitted, water proof cows knee, and will frequently check my priming powder and change it if I suspect or observe any dampness. I’ll also try to keep the lock/breach area under my armpit for additional protection when feasible. While I normally use 4F for priming, I’ll sometimes switch to 3F in really damp conditions. Un-coated 4F, combined with the finer granulations increased surface area is more susceptible to moisture absorption.

" If you could find a weather proof poncho, that would cover up your rifle and keep you warm.."

That's what I use in rainy weather. I also have the wool inter liner too, which makes it toasty. Check the prime often. I keep the gun covered unless I get a shot. I also have a one legged Nifty Seat hanging from my side which I can sit on and still be completely covered. Works great for stillhunting.

I took a shot once in rainy conditions and a piece of the prime flew back and lit my eyebrow ablaze. I kept on shooting and made the shot. :)

Its late muzzle loader season here for a few more days. I was out yesterday and the weather was foul. Snow in the morning followed by a light mist that wetted everything. Upon checking my prime I discovered the water had drizzled down the barrel, under the cows knee and turned the Siler's pan into mush. It took three re-primes and poking some into the flash hole to clear the main charge. Any tips on keeping the pan dry would be appreciated.
Its late muzzle loader season here for a few more days. I was out yesterday and the weather was foul. Snow in the morning followed by a light mist that wetted everything. Upon checking my prime I discovered the water had drizzled down the barrel, under the cows knee and turned the Siler's pan into mush. It took three re-primes and poking some into the flash hole to clear the main charge. Any tips on keeping the pan dry would be appreciated.
You should try living in UK. It's where Water Proof Pans were invented. Search The Mantons..O.D.

I try to wrap myself, bag, horn and especially lock under a wool blanket while sitting and while moving I try to drape blanket over it as well So my orange clothing is visable on the move. I also stopped using FFFFG as a primer while hunting (un-coated and seems to turn to mush faster). I missed a heck of a nice buck several years ago that kept walking further up to me each time my rifle (Clatched) I reprimed two or three times until he was 35 yards from me then trotted off. After 9 hours sitting in the rain and fog no matter how many precationsI took my powder even in the chamber got damp. Thrill of the chase and further experamentaion I guess is needed. I also changed prime several times.
Can you clearify - the story about the miss fires at the buck were with or without the precautions of blanket and coarser pan primer.

I'm missing something here.
Doesn't opening the pan and, "checking the priming," in wet weather offer more opportunities for moisture to contaminate the prime and possibly the main charge?
If one has sealed the edges of the pan with grease/patch lube, or chapstick, and put on a cow's knee, maybe with waxy lube where the front edge meets the barrel and stock (extra blob in the corner gutter), why break the seal?

I'm missing something here.
Doesn't opening the pan and, "checking the priming," in wet weather offer more opportunities for moisture to contaminate the prime and possibly the main charge?
If one has sealed the edges of the pan with grease/patch lube, or chapstick, and put on a cow's knee, maybe with waxy lube where the front edge meets the barrel and stock (extra blob in the corner gutter), why break the seal?
I think some common sense should prevail when doing this. You obviously would not want to expose the powder/pan to direct moisture, and checking with adequate cover or a lull in the precipitation. IMO.

Way, way back in the dim past I recall using a "baggy" over the lock with success. Although I no longer hunt old habits and perceptions still hang on. A few years ago I was invited on a deer hunt in WV. To my surprise the "stand" was a small cabin perched atop 10' pilings. But to make things worse the dang thing was heated! I always felt that "hunting" was only ethical if you were tired, cold, wet and miserable; and I always was...sorta. It was difficult for me to wrap my mind around this embarrassing setup. There was absolutely NO WAY to be cold, wet, tired or miserable! Nowadays I try my very best to NOT experience those conditions; maybe I've grown soft. :rolleyes:

Back