• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN Western Arms Santa Fe Jedediah Smith Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of a thousand hawkens made for Western Arms of Santa Fe. Marked as a .54 but I belive these are closer to a .53. Made late 70’s but still in decentView attachment 248741View attachment 248742View attachment 248743View attachment 248746View attachment 248748View attachment 248750View attachment 248752View attachment 248754View attachment 248756View attachment 248760 condition. $850 plus shipping.
Excellent gun for the money. About as close as you can get to an original Hawken as you can get in a modern reproduction.

Excellent gun for the money. About as close as you can get to an original Hawken as you can get in a modern reproduction.
It looks identical to my Ithaca hawkin except mine is a .54? I have seen several Hawkin that came from different companies that looked the same?

Nicely built. Was the barrel shortened? Front entry pipe awfully close to muzzle. Who made the barrel? Will it take a .526 round ball or best with a .520? Any targets showing groups? Who owned, ran Western Arms?

I have one of these Santa Fe Hawkens. Other than the slight inconvenience of the unncommon bore size (done to make them as close to a real Hawken as they could), they are a very nice rifle, probably the best of factory made Hawken replicas in my opinion.

Only thing I see a bit off is overall size of lock is rather small. Otherwise a pretty fair replica of a Hawken Rocky Mountain rifle.

These are great rifles and give a decent hawken appearance. I have had the privilege of seeing, holding, even disassembling authenticated rifles made by the Hawken Shop. There are differences, mostly arising from the fact that these are mass produced and everything is interchangeable with no fitting, something one does not see on hand made items.

They were made by Aldo Uberti as noted in the article posted by @kelvinator and @jimairwin above.

The Jedidiah Smith Rifle was a promotional series that they ran, as they did a couple of these for other products, I almost bought one but was turned back by the fact that the Serial numbers on the rifle and the series number of the Jed Smith Rifles didn't match. So I ordered a kit from my friend at the local gun store.
and was really pleased at what I got. The Serial number was 0198 and it was practically in the white requiring very little fitting. It runs at 32 balls to the pound, somewhere on the close order of .533 calibre.

I do not know if all of the rifles were sent to Western Arms as parts in the white and assembled in New Mexico or not. The gun club I was associated with bought a number of the kits that were assembled by the above store owner and myself and raffled off to raise money, none of the ones we purchased were at the same level of assembly. It was almost like when they got an order for a kit they just stopped working on whatever rifle was currently in production at the time and threw it in a box and mailed it out.

While it weighs a bit, it shoots really well. In fact today it shoots with more accuracy than I can with the eyes I have now. Just another one of those things that comes with advanced age and makes me

Mad Michael.

Nicely built. Was the barrel shortened? Front entry pipe awfully close to muzzle. Who made the barrel? Will it take a .526 round ball or best with a .520? Any targets showing groups? Who owned, ran Western Arms?
No sir, the barrel wasnt shortened as far as I can tell. Just a little research into these supports that. I have no idea if a .526 ball might work or not. .520 works good. A Mr. Len Allen owned and ran Western Arms in Santa Fe NM. Hopefully this answers your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back