• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

well im back!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtothis

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A little over a year ago i was ready to flop down the cash for a flinter, but ended up getting a modern handgun instead. Now i have somehow managed to become bored with cartridge guns, and, considering that the absolute best hunts iv ever had were with my goofy little falling appart way undersized (for me) 38 caliber percussion rifle for squirrel, i believe its time to start deciding on a flinch rock.

Im thinking 42 inch barrel in maybe 25 caliber? Or i know 32 is a much more common option. Im not extremely knowledgable to the different schools of rifle building. I know i want something with german silver furnature and a little figure to the wood. Nothing extravagant but not a "Poor boy". I would even be open to a good kit build as i have access to a few gentlemen of an age which would shame that of some stones, and all the knowledge they have and i deffinitly lack so i have faith it could be done well.

Long story short i need suggestions for how to obtain a nice squirrel gun that is/can be fitted to me for around/under 2k. If this is even possible. Thanks guys!

In my experience the smaller calibers require more cleaning between shots. With a .25 you might have to clean between each shot. You will also have a problem finding a ramrod thin enough to work in a .25 caliber barrel. Another thing to consider is the amount of lead in a .25, that is a very small round ball.

I recommend a .32 to .36 if you are looking for a smaller caliber gun. One nice thing about these calibers is that they shoot buckshot sized ball, so you can buy a bag of buckshot and never have to buy ball for a long time.

Many Klatch

Well now, german silver hardware, small calibre, nice wood, sounds like a recipe for a Bedford county rifle. They were more common in percussion but flint is also correct. They are also a damn fine looking rifle when done. I would agree that a 25 is a bit small and getting someone to make that calibre for you will cost time and money. The 36 is the best choice IMHO. You can use 000 buckshot for ammo, they use little powder, are easy to clean, accurate, and can bump up to larger then squirrels if you want. I'd recommend a Rice Co. barrel. I have one thats a tackdriver and I've never heard anyone talk bad about their barrels or customer service.
Beware- the traditionalists will tell you that german silver hardware didn't come into use until later in the percussion era, but it's your gun and if you don't care to be HC/PC do what makes you happy.

When I reach your point, I am going here for mine, only because I am partial to the Chambersburg/Emmitsburg school, being as I grew up in spitting distance of both towns.

I don`t have near the experience some here do, but I`m gonna join Many Klatch and try to stear ya away from the .25cal idea. A barrel that small is probably a custom made thing, and I don`t remember ever seeing ramrods and cleaning jags ready made either.
Myself, I shoot a .32cal and find that on the small side sometimes. I know that if/when I ever get around to a different small game rifle it`s gonna be a .36 or .40cal.

A good rifle, with some inlays, for under $2K, sure.., "fitted" to you, maybe not. Now you mention that you are new to this, so maybe you are thinking more of "shoulders well" when you lift it to aim, rather than "fitted" eh? :grin:

Consider too, that a caliber smaller than .32 was not out of the reach of those in the flintlock era..., so perhaps they established the "lower end" of calibers at between .32 and .36 from experience that any smaller simply didn't work well at all?

IF you are only going for squirrel and rabbit, then yes .32 or .36 is the answer, maybe even in .40. On the other hand if you are thinking at all like you might want to go for deer, you need to check your state regulations as in some states you need at least a .45.

OR..., you will need to get another rifle in addition to the one we are talking about. That's not a bad idea either. :grin:

LD

i'll jump on board with the general consensus - you'd do better with a .36 than a .25 ... a while back i built a nice little rifle out of a stock blank (American Lacewood - just to irritate the PC/HC police) and, having never done anything that brave in the woodworking sense, i was a bit worried that i'd come out with expensive firewood, but it worked out great (for me, anyway) and now i have a rifle which fits me really well ... it has a 36 inch Long Hammock barrel, a siler deluxe lock, and a sliding wood patchbox.

if you're up to the challenge of a stock blank (as opposed to a precarve) this would be the way to go for a custom gun, with you being the customer.

good luck in your quest for the perfect flintlock, and when you find it, make good smoke!

I have a .32 flinter with a 42" barrel, and while it shoots well, I would also say to stay away from anything smaller just for the sake of ramrods/jags/etc. I wont argue with the suggestion to get a larger caliber to make it more of an all around gun, but I also tend to go straight from a .32 to a .50 or usually a .54, so you may want to take this with a grain of salt. But the .32 is a great little small game caliber, and while many will disagree with me, I would not hesitate to take larger game than what most consider small under the proper circumstances. I do know of one forum member who used a .32 to take a deer, so the gun is up to it in the proper hands, and this specific gent is an excellent shot, so I see no problem with him using his on deer since it is legal here. I also however do not recommend the .32 as a deer gun to the majority either though. I have taken a 150 lb hog with mine, and will do so again if given the chance, however that was while out squirrel hunting and the hog was a lucky break, and not my intended game. I have faith in the .32 and a well placed shot, but if a .32 is great, a .36 has to be even better, and at least from what I have been told, it is easier to get ramrods and such for the .36, so this may be a consideration. Either way, you will love this rifle once you get it finished and start shooting it, even if you may not quite have all the particulars of it figured out yet.

I have a .36 and it is a sweet gun and a nice caliber but my .40 is even sweeter. :2 I can't tell you why but the .40 seems to be an inherently more accurate caliber. :idunno: Many of the target shooters at Friendship use a .40 caliber rifle. :thumbsup: It is an accurate all-around caliber. You might want to give it some thought as your next step up from a .32. :hmm:

You might want to look at the offerings of both Jim Chambers and TVM. Both make good kits and both offer pre-inlet stocks. If you are not a gifted woodworker and have a good bit of gun work experience, I doubt that a stock blank is the way for you to go. As for which barrel maker to choose, I think that Rice barrels are the top of the line followed closely by Long Hammock and Green Mountain. When ordering a barrel, make sure the breach plug is installed. That job takes some experience and talent that most of us don't have. The plug must seat both internally against the powder chamber and externally against the breach of the barrel and the flats on the breach plug and the barrel must align at that exact same point. 'Tain't easy, McGee. As for a lock, if you can get an L&R lock that has been assembled by Rice himself, you will have something aken to a Swiss watch. If you can get it, it will cost a few bucks more but it is sure worth it.

Thanks for all the help guys. I could go percussion and i could do iron instead of german silver ( not sure why but i dont like the look of brass)

As for suggestions to up caliber in order to have an all around rifle, the louisiana department of wildlife and fisheries has done away with that option. 36 or smaller for small game and 44 or larger for deer. But being that i hunt hogs durring small game season i suppose the 36 is the way to go.

And ok maybe not "fitted" but at least something with the propper LOP. My 38 is a bit short. :doh:

With your states caliber restrictions like they are, you might want to think about a .45cal for a one gun solution. 45`s are versatile and can be used for small game with low powder charges and uploaded for medium sized critters like deer and hogs. Something to think about maybe :hmm: :idunno:

Never mind my last post :redface: I was obviously reading something backwards or on a different planet when I wrote it :redface: :shake:

I agree on the 36. A friend has a 30 cal and broke the ramrod because it was so small. Also we could not find a cleaning jag and had to make one. Shot ok at 20 or so yards but 40 and 50 were very interesting.

THere is nothing wrong with a .32, I have one, and hunt rabbits and grouse with it. It's very accurate, I would not hesitate to shoot a turkey withit if it were legal here.
As for nickle,(german silver), do what you want.
CIMG0374.jpg

A junior in our club is using a .32 and does well at 25 and 50 yards and can even hit the target at 100 some times. He shot our last silhouette shoot where we have thick iron targets at 30,60 and 80 yards. We were all gathered around when he was starting to shoot the 80 yard standing chucks. Bang! Plink! wobble,wobble (insert slow falling over sound here) plop! Funny as all get out but it did the job.We all gave him a big rousing cheer!

Back