• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well here it is my CVA Kentucky changed rebuild

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntman58

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well it is done! Now what to call it. I think "Blood Swears and Tears" would be fitting but a little long. This is after my :cursing: and all the band aid I used and the tears I wept after breaking threw inletting the trigger stuff :shake: . Not really a Tennessee mountain rifle but along that fair :grin: . Ya I know to shiny and too much brass but this is my first box of parts (salvaged and some bought) build and well it is for me so that’s all that matters I hope :surrender: . Now to get the cash :hmm: to do another one and a better job to boot. Dam I like doing this stuff!
O ya the stock is a second (worm hole) #2 grade from Pecatonica River and the rest T.O.W. and Jedediah Starr. It was stain with AF and BWC rusty walnut brown thinned. With 7 coats of Tung oil low gloss. Hope you like it as much as I did building it. Yes it makes smoke as well as it used to but a lot nicer to hold and it fits me way better. Thanks to all who have helped me with this here! You helped make it even possible from the thought to the finish :bow: :bow: :bow: . the last pic is of my CVA moutian rifle I just also refinished. same staining and finish but all the brass was blackend with BWC brass black the rest deep cold blued.
9.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg

11.jpg
12.jpg

6.jpg

I like it. you did a very good job, welcome to the addiction of gun building.let us know how she shoots.

Very nice. It looks like the aquafortis worked out good for you. The #2 stock looks fine. I was planning to use a #2 on mine but they had the #3 on hand so I went with it.

Dale

Later today I plan to take it out side and see if I can get some better pics of it and the wood. I do like it and it is so much better then the way it originally was to be. I also like the darker and blacked out look on the mountain rifle but thinking of saleing it and building a real plains or even a half stock Tennessee mountain rifle.

I sure don't remember CVA makeing a nice looking one lke that! :hmm: :rotf: reall changed the looks for the better. Fred :hatsoff:

Thanks people .I shure did enjoy it and well I know I am going to build a few more including one for my granddaughter as a keepsake and to shoot with by the time she is 5 and she is 2 now. here is also some pic taken out side with better light . yes that is a mark on the lock side wrist were i brock out doing the trigger and gaurd and the reason for the tears.
for a good resone to use the AF look at the two pic of the lock side of gun by the butt area and one ya see the curl the other looks like a big dark area . it shure dances in the sun light and thanks to others here for talking me into it and also the BWC rust walnut brown stain did not change it at all but it is a clear alcahole stain ( thanks to Zonie for that info :bow: ) on the before pic you can not see the really bad job on it but the lock panels are very rounded and that was one of the better parts of the gun! One the rebuild I did reshape the lock panels and a bit of the stock ( thanks to Mike Brooks for the how to ) the old trigger I reused but removed the rear set as it was broken. the old one was very chunky as it was never slimmed down or sanded into the brass parts. The one thing both time it was built with out all the right tools, no vice and on my lap in a bedroom. dam I gots to get me a shop.:hmm:
f.jpg
c.jpg

d.jpg
e.jpg

a.jpg

scan0001.jpg

the before pic

huntman58 said:
... I also like the darker and blacked out look on the mountain rifle but thinking of saleing it and building a real plains or even a half stock Tennessee mountain rifle.

Rifles.jpg

Thirty years ago I restocked my Mountain Rifle with a Leman half stock. It gave me more pull and drop and made it a more comfortable gun to shoot.

It's the middle rifle in the photo.

Back