• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Welding lock parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
What is the best method to use when welding on the cock of a flintlock, I want to make some cosmetic changes and must add a filler that can be filed ddwn behind the top jaws.

TG,
I am no expert, but would try a test on an old cock first. The welding method I suggest is TIG. (Tungsten Inert Gas.) If you are not proficient at this type of welding, then I suggest you might want to have someone with that expertise do the filling for you. (Just my opinion)
Flintlocks Forever,
Lar :m2c: :redthumb:

I will second the TIG welding suggestion. A well known lock maker uses this method to do cosmetic fixes on castings with minor imperfections when he is short of castings. Properly done its undetectable as well as a permenant repair.
BJH

As a young kid growing up in a machine shop, I learned some of gun smithing from my father. He'd tig weld it for sure. Pre heat before welding, just enough to turn metal blueish color. After welding post heat. This will normalize the weld. If you have a box of lime handy, cover it up untill it's cool. You can use sand in a pinch and get similar results, Good luck :redthumb:

Thanks guys, I have access to arc, low amp wire feed and gas..I used to weld a lot of exhaust pipe with gas,...25 years ago, I have used TIG but do not have it available unless I can rent it..or maybe find some one to do it for me..I have a spare new cock to modify so if this goes south on me the gun still is intact. I guess I could start from scratch and make a new one....scratch that, projected life expectancy does not allow sufficient time.

The best system is T.I.G. or tungsten inert gas and Brownells sell a really good high nickel filler rod that case hardens really well.
Rex Dev. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back