• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wedge Shoots Loose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Pietta 44 cal Navy. Sometimes when firing, the wedge shoots loose. Is there anything I can do to prevent the wedge from slipping out or is it just the nature of the beast?

It is a steel framed revolver. I am using Goex Pinnacle 3f power. The charge is around 24 grains. I use a Colt navy flask from Dixie Gunworks with a 24 grain tube. I use lubbed felt wads over the powder.

The wedge doesn't come loose every time. I shot it Saturday and it happened on the fourth reload.

How tight does it fit before shooting? Does the wedge slip in and out with hardly any effort?

You might have a bad spring, or the wedge is just worn. You ought to be able to fix the latter by peening the edges a little.

The wedge should release with some firm thumb pressure on the rounded end. Newer Pietta's seem to have wedges fitted with far too much pressure, resulting in difficult initial removal requiring brass punches and hammers.

Someone may have "tinkered" with the wedge to make removal easier by thinning the sides and/or top. The rounded edge should protrude slightly, perhaps 0.010"

You can make some adjustments by very slightly bending the wedge: hold the flat rounded end in a vise, then tap the flanged end with a brass/plastic face hammer. I don't think it makes any difference which direction you bend the wedge.

This is a trial-and-error process: tap a little, try, put it back in the vise and try some more. You won't need much of a bend to restore the friction fit. If you can see the wedge bend when you hit it, you hit too hard!

Next choice is purchase and fit a new wedge.

Best of luck!

I would also recommend trying some 2F in that Pietta. It shoots better for me than 3F, although you might want to bump the charge a wee bit. Even a full charge of 2F seems kinder to open-top guns than 3F.

Alan

Back