• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WD/40

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
used to use it exclusively for my modern firearms, and my BP when I had the stuff. It is also what the US Military uses for weapons maintenance and storage.

I would be using it now, but the Remoil I use is cheaper and protects as well, just doesn't clean it as well...

I've been into guns, in one form or another, for over 45 years, and used enough WD40 to float a battleship. Never had any rust or problems. Maybe I'm lucky to live where rust isn't a big problem, but everything I don't treat, eventually rusts, so I dunno. I could possibly had some gum up years ago, but I'm not sure that is was WD40, I just don't remember. I tend to not use it so much now, as there are better stuff for you to handle long term. I think it's hard to reinvent the wheel, as it were, in lubrication. For modern guns, Hoppe's oil works pretty good, Hoppe's #9 cleans good. The Elite stuff is less dangerous to health, so I use it some. But for most things, including BP guns, Ballistol is the one I now use. It's been around a while, works well and is kind to your health.
I never heard WD40 was used by the military, as I was under the impression that they used BreakFree, but I dunno.

My thoughts are, that I've handled enough bad chemicals in my life, so I try to use less dangerous oils and cleaners, as long as they work well, and Ballistol works. I do have to admit that in .22's I also use Kroil mixed with #9, and Kroil is not that good for you, but I don't use it much or get it all over my hands. You could probably mix any penetrant, WD40, Liquid Wrench etc. mixed with #9 to clean rimfires.

I Guess I should have been more specific, I was answering a question about Break Free, not the OP's WD-40 question. You are correct, it is CLP (Break Free CLP) that the military uses on all guns, at least when I was in they did..

yep, ballistol and kroil
also good are '1 to 99' and 'X1-A'(real good protectorant maybe hard to come across they were being sued for patent infringe)

flinthunter said:
History footnote/mythbuster;
Flinthunter is right about it being invented for NASA as a water displacer.
Not really, WD40 1953 -- NASA inception 1958. Aerospace Yes, NASA No. http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/[/quote]

Oops, my bad. I was close though. My memory did fail me :wink:

Norm Larsen invented it in 1953 to displace moisture in high voltage switches in a high humidity environment. That is what he told me personally. I do not recall if he said who his employer was at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I forgot the part about it being developed just for use in Kansas.
Thanks.

larry wv said:
Rifleman I know it smells different than it used to. :idunno: Larry Wv

My "smeller" is not that good either. But it smells the same, to me, as it always did over the past 45+ years I've used it. The smell brings back comforting memories.

In all of my "High Dollar" competion pistols I will only use WD-40. Plain water to clean, dry,
then WD-40. NEVER any rust in over 40 years. I did
have a chance one time to ask a heavy bench shooter at Friendship as to what he used. He told
me WD-40. This in a gun costing several thousand
dollars. That was in 1992.

If it had a different smell it would be WD 41 wouldn't it. Back in the late 1970s I used to shoot with some scientists that were doing tests for the U.S. Army on all available lubes, looking for the best one for the Army. They thought Breakfree was the best. They said "WD40 is nothing but diesel fuel with some perfume added to give it a better smell" That's what they told me and I don't think they were far wrong but I like it anyway.
Deadeye

You guys can say what you want. :) But it changed its smell a lot of years ago. My brother hated the smell of it back in the 70s and then the smell changed. I noticed it was different but didn't tell my brother and started using it again and he didn't even know I was using the stuff. :wink: That's my story and I am sticking to it. :blah: :grin: :grin: Larry

Billnpatti said:
Oh, and for those who cry "Flash rust !!!" Sorry, boys, but it never happens....at least not to me and I have done it several times.
Never tried steam, but I've had consistent flash rusting of my barrels when using boiling water (the local water is rather hard). You could watch the rust following the edge of the evaporating water. From previous discussions here and elsewhere, it appears that both the steel alloy and the water chemistry involved are factors in whether or not this happens.

Regards,
Joel

Rifleman1776 said:
I just talked to a woman who uses WD-40 to clean her bathtub. :shocked2:
You just can't this stuff up. :haha:
Go figger. :surrender:

found this in an email....

WD-40 uses:

1. Protects silver from tarnishing
2. Removes road tar and grime from cars
3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings
4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery
5. Keeps flies off cows
6. Restores and cleans chalkboards
7. Removes lipstick stains
8. Loosens stubborn zippers
9. Untangles jewelry chains
10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks
11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill
12. Keeps ceramic/terra-cotta garden pots from oxidizing
13. Removes tomato stains from clothing
14. Keeps glass (and plastic) shower doors free of water spots
15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors
16. Keeps scissors working smoothly
17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
18. It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40
for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to
harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them
off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks
19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed
quickly! Use WD-40!
20. Gives a children’s playground slide a shine for a super fast slide
21. Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on
riding mowers
22. Rids kids’ rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises
23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open
24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close
25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well
as vinyl bumpers
26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles
27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans
28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for
easy handling
29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running
smoothly
30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades and other tools
31. Removes splattered grease on stove
32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging
33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs
34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell)
35. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you
will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper
than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose.
Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for
fishing are not allowed in some states
36. Removes all traces of duct tape
37. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve
arthritis pain
38. Florida’s favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from
grills and bumpers
39. The favorite use in the state of New York : WD-40 protects the
Statue of Liberty from the elements
40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately
and stops the itch
41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark
and wipe with a clean rag
42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed
and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the
lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone!
43. If you spray WD-40 on a distributor cap, it will displace the
moisture and allow the car to start
:wink:

WD-40 is useful stuff and it WILL make your fan belt quiet (and the one in the drier) but I was always told it will make the belts disintegrate. Go buy a can of "belt dressing" from the auto store. It's made for this.

Now to go try it on the adhesive someone left on that old tool box...

The easy thing to do is try it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, move on to something that does. I probably have a dozen cans between my boats, trucks, house, shop and more I can't remember. I use it for some things and not for others.

But asking it to fix everything is like asking congress to fix ANYTHING. :bull:

Two of the great facts of life all children should be taught:
If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
If it moves and shouldn't, use Duct Tape.
Somebody stop us before this thread gets silly.
:blah: :surrender:

Keerect! Modern civilization would be impossible without Duct Tape and WD40 :v.

In the list #34, the smell may keep pigeons off but WILL attract gun people :hmm:.

Word on the street has it that WD40 can heal the sick and raise the dead :idunno:.

Back