• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Waxed Linen Thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ia m looking at getting some linen thread for leather work and I found these guys on the internet search. Ever heard of them? The price is right anyway...anybody find this quanity any cheaper?

Here is the link:
Link

Thanks!

Howdy Nord - not as bad as some, but it's about 2-2.5 times more per yard than the 4 cord Barbour's from Mid-Continent......the Barbour's is at a higher initial cost, but you get 1354 yards for about $60.00 including S/H whereas for the same yardage the linkyou posted runs about $140.00

Not as expensive as Tandy though - it's about $325.00 for the same yardage!

Yup, that's cheap. I buy unwaxed 5 ply at $45 a pound. I forget how many thousands of yards that is. Not that I'm cheap; unwaxed is easier to lock onto the needles. Then I wax with beeswax or black wax (blend of beeswax and pine pitch).
Or do you want all them girlie colors? :grin:
They shore look purty.

LeatherMoose said:
Or do you want all them girlie colors? :grin:
They shore look purty.

:rotf:

I am looking at the 'natural color' for a natural look... :grin:

LeatherMoose said:
Then I wax with beeswax or black wax (blend of beeswax and pine pitch).

How do you do that? I bought a good amount of linen thread thinking I was clever since I already own a ton of beeswax and rit dye, and now I can only think of the nightmare it is going to be for a sewing naive like myself to prepare it :(

I was told to use a hair dryer to melt the wax as anything past 140 deg will either burn the wax or cause it to burst into flames?

Thank you.

When you dig up a thread that's 10yrs old and ask a specific member a question,, sometimes it's a good idea to look at his profile, LeatherMooose hasn't logged in here since 2007.

Applying wax to thread is fairly easy and doesn't need much if any heat. Just hold a chunk of wax in one hand, place the thread over it, hold it down with your thumb and pull. The friction of the thread cutting across melts the wax.
Repeat a few times.
If you want to get fancy,, clamp a section of thread on both ends and rub the wax back-n-forth.

You know you can get small bobbins of waxed linen thread from Tandy Leather and it's no where near the outlay of cash you guys are talking about. some of the craft stores also have it in with their beading supplies. They come wrapped around a small round bobbin.

Also, you don't need to melt the wax to apply it to the thread if you buy un-waxed linen thread instead of the pre-waxed thread. Just work about a quarter size diameter of the wax you are going to use in your hands until it softens up a bit. Then cut off the amount of thread you are going to use; lay it on top of the wax; hold it down on the wax with the index finger of one hand; and pull the length of thread through with the other. 2 or 3 times through will wax your thread just great - takes about 2 seconds. You can easily prepare multiple lengths of thread at one time.

I actually learned to do that back in the 70's when I started tying flies and an old codger used to prepare his un-waxed fly-tying thread like that instead of using a new fangled bobbin with tube as a dispenser.

The pine tar/beeswax blacking wax was commonly used by cobblers and can certainly be used for other leather goods. Natural linen color was used for most acoutrements. The pine tar is really sticky!!

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Thank you :hatsoff:

It is a big relief knowing that I do not have to dye the thread, and that waxing it is essentially the same as bowstring maintenance. :hatsoff:

I have a ball of hemp twine. Got it at a store with a picture of a funnly looking plant in the window. Guy in the story says "yea man" a lot. :wink: But, the hemp didn't cost much and is very strong. It can be split into smaller cords or even a fine thread. Even the threads are quite strong. I just pull across a hunk of beeswax to use. And, it looks 'correct' for our purposes.

Hemp and jute are quite a bit different. If you want to be sure you are historically correct on the item you are making, use either the waxed-linen thread or "real" sinew (not the nylon imitation type).

Dan

With all due respect Dan but good quality hemp thread (not the cheap beading cord such a found at Wal-mart is just as HC/PC as linen. It is actually stronger than linen and was/is used on higher quality gear - even modern high quality bag pipes are made using it.
Waxing as noted was/is done by rubbing the ball of wax (I use a 60/40 mix of beeswax and pitch melted together and let cool)along the strands of the threads until thoroughly waxed and then burnish the waxed thread by rubbing a piece of softish leather along the thread. If/when the wax gets thin re-apply as needed.

Good lord, never thought waxing thread was so scientific... I've always held one each bees wax in hand, the other my linen thread and wax away! Works for me but maybe I've got it all wrong? :idunno:

Thanks for that LaBonte, I was actually cautioning against taking jute apart and using that instead of hemp. Didn't mean to come across as questioning the use of hemp thread.

Dan

I have actually used jute Dan, believe it or not. It's rather tedious but works if you separate the fibers and actually make very small strands of cordage, works well and is plenty strong. Just make sure it'll pass through whatever eye of the needle your using.

Again, tedious but one of those "I wonder" moments around the fire.

Micheal's craft store, has all types of waxed thread, scrap leather, and many useful items.

Latest posts

Back