• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wax for Stocks & Metal vs. Trans. Fluid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have followed the instructions from TVM on cleaning and preserving my Early Virginia using Type F trani fluid after a wax to preserve the metal and wood.

Went to the range on Saturday and it was HOT! The wax that I used or the Trani Fluid combination got hot and began to rub off. I wasn't happy.

I just ordered some RENAISSANCE WAX and hope that it holds up better. Any other suggestions for a wax that will withstand heat without melting off?

I'm not sure that I like the Type F trani fluid either. Any thoughts on that as well?

This TC Hawken is finished with Johnson's Paste Wax. The regular old stuff you have seen for many years in the yellow can. I find it to be very good and very pretty.

IMG_5198.jpg

IMG_5199.jpg

There is no chance I will put Trans fluid on any of my guns. That just has something that is just plain wrong attached to it. Beside it stinks. No way Jose'.

There's really nothing "magic" that's going to do ALL the stuff in a truley proper manner.
It's part of our culture to want a one stop service, a one fix cure all,,,

It simply boils down to careing for your gun.
I use Gun oil and or LPS 2 and 3 to treat and lubricate metal parts.
I use Scott's Liquid Gold (pourable) for the wood parts, but any "furniture" polish does and will work fine.
I live in MN, we have hot humid summers and cold dry winters. Guns go through all kinds of H-E double toothpicks esp those that have field use with huge daily temp swings.

I'm sure some gun makers recomend tranny fluid only because they got tired of trying to explain to everyone how wood is wood and metal is metal and by the way you bought it, it's your gun now.

If it's dirty wipe it down, if the metal is dry oil it, if the brass tranishes polish it, Lube the lock parts then wipe clean and polish the wood.
You'll hafta do the same thing several times each season and once or twice during the off season storage,
:idunno:

Not sure if it helps, but tranny fluid is full of detergents. May take off wax, etc. :idunno:

As a builder of custom furniture I use a pure carnuba wax on both furniture and guns. I NEVER use transmision fluid on wood!Sometimes BLO (Boiled lineseed oil )or Tung oil :hmm:

I also use the Johnson's Paste Wax in the yellow can and have been perfectly satisfied. I use the type F tranny fluid on all my guns, ancient and modern. I fired my MLs for 45 years in the scorching Ga. heat and never had anything melt on the surface of the wood or metal. When I use the tranny fluid I leave the gun overnight and wipe the excess off the next day. It leaves a nice dry film behind. And NO; I would not use it as an aftershave or cologne unless your wife/girlfriend is a mechanic. :grin:

Back