• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Waterproof?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek:ff

if I remember the story correctly, the Huntley went down and was recently raised ... gotta give those fellas credit for brave, knowingly climbing into that thing and probably having figured out what was gonna happen ...

I don't think that there is any record of anyone ever successfully defending their life against a Grizzly Bear, with a .44 cal cap and ball revolver, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Still, that would not be my first choice of a weapon to carry if I was concerned about that possibility. That being said, you can cut 1/4"OD plastic tubing, the kind used for gas lines on a chain saw or weed eater, into 1/8" pieces, and place them over the cap and nipple. I have used this method to waterproof my .50 cal percussion rifle, for several years. :stir: Robin

MSW said:
:eek:ff

if I remember the story correctly, the Huntley went down and was recently raised ... gotta give those fellas credit for brave, knowingly climbing into that thing and probably having figured out what was gonna happen ...
Actually, went down 3 times...last time for 150 years. Yes, you have to give them points for fortitude!

Amazing to think revolvers and hand-cranked submersibles could be sealed tightly enough to work underwater. I occasionally watch the video and wonder how many chambers would go off if that M.1860 was held down and went through a normal cylinder full? As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a long history of chain-fires and haven't gone completely jittery but I've never tried to shoot one off under water! Did notice the ball bounces off the under water board and rolls back along the bottom of the tub back below the revolver! :wink:

Cynthia, my understanding is the pressure is equal inside and outside the barrel, either full of air,(gun in air) or full of water(gun in water) A Navy SEAL told me he'd tried it with a 1911 colt, and it worked, but the barrel had to be FULL of water,(gun under water) I'm not smart enough to illustrate the physics, maybe someone else here can enlighten us? :confused: :thumbsup: Treestalker

Back