• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Was gifted a percussion rifle, please help identify!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdubbs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just returned from a birthday party with an antique long rifle that used to belong to my grandfather. It's not in good shape by any means, but I would like to find out more about it! I posted on northeastshooters.com and was recommended by a member to post here.

Below are some pictures - barrel is octagon. There is a J.M. engraved, and D.L.A. on the stock.

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What you have is a nice percussion half stock from the 1840 - 1865 era. Has a back action lock, which is typical for the time period and a neat cap box in the stock. The trigger is either single or double set variety which probably means it was used as a target rifle as well as for hunting. Have you determined what caliber? I tend to disagree with your statement about condition unless there is some major damage that the photos do not show. I do not see any cracks in the stock and it all appears to be there. I don't even see any major handling marks. It simply needs a little cleaning. Wipe down the stock with a slightly damp rag (don't soak it in water) to get off some of the dirt. Use an oily rag on the metal. Do not polish the brass or the lock or barrel. It has developed a nice "patina" over the years and you do not want to remove that. I would run a cleaning patch down the barrel to get some of the gunk out of that too. You may find that the bore is in pretty good shape once you get all the dirt out. Before you do any of that, however, determine if it is loaded. A lot of old guns were put away with a load in the barrel. You can run the ramrod down the bore and mark the side of the rod, flush with the muzzle where it stops. Then lay the rod along side the barrel with the mark flush with the muzzle to see if there is any signifcant distance from where the rod would have bottomed out on the breach face. If so, then there is probably a load in the barrel. I have no reference to a maker with initials J. M. but there were hundreds of gunmakers busy in the US at that time. Don't know anything about D. L. A. either. If you are a member of the NMLRA or even if you are not, you can send information on the gun with photos to Sarah Rittgers at NMLRA for ID.

These rifles are quite common so they do not bring much of a premium price among collectors but the fact that it was your grandfather's gun makes it priceless for you and your family. Clean it up and enjoy it. You are fortunate to have a nice piece of family history.

It's not in good shape by any means,

!!

Actually it is in very good shape for its age. Nothing busted, split, or parts missing. That makes it in good shape in anybody's book. It's nice to see one that hasn't been abused, neglected, or used up.

I suggest that you take a damp (not wet) rag and dust her down. A light coat of gun oil on the metal parts and light wax on the wood.

MacRob46 - Do you have contact info for Sarah Rittgers at NMLRA? I find her name referenced, but can't find contact info. Appreciate it!

Looks to be about a 45cal. I would guess. By what I am seeing if the bore is bad there looks like there is enough meat to have it re-bored!

Of course in some circles that would be considered a great sacrilege!

In the pic with the rod in the barrel, mark the rod and now lay it along side of the rifle barrel. If it does not reach back to the breach plug when it is on the mark, then there is a load in the gun!

As far as condition other than a cleaning up it is in fantastic condition for its age, unless like it has been said there is something not showing in the pics!

50cal.cliff - in that last pic you can see the rod measured back along the barrel, and where it ends. From what is being said, it looks like there is no load in it. (Goes back to the bolt for the percussion cap)

Apologize for my terminology, this is my first muzzle loader!

Yup.
I hope to look as good and still function when I hit 160+ years old. :)

The tape measure tells me it is about a .37 caliber.

Odd caliber sizes were not uncommon back then.

Gotta love that front sight.
While I have no doubts that this rifle is authentic, that sight confirms it.

No modern builder or shooter would think of making or using a gun with their front sight like they used to be.

I'd clean it up, rebore it, get a new nipple and fire to my hearts content. Granted that would take away value in some folks eyes, but in mine it would make it more worth owning.

If not then at least clean some of the dirt off it and put it over the fireplace.

With all due respects, Cynthialee, putting a gun of any kind over the fireplace will dry out the stock and hasten its' deterioration. It's not a good idea..in my opinion. Respectfully, Ron. :)

Can't speak for the maker, I've no ref info with those initials but D.L.A. is almost certainly a previous or original owner, specifically since it's well done by engraving or stamping.

Zonie said:
Yup.
Gotta love that front sight.
While I have no doubts that this rifle is authentic, that sight confirms it.

No modern builder or shooter would think of making or using a gun with their front sight like they used to be.

Ain't that the truth!

Your rifle is rather late, so has few identifying details. But the strongly hooked rear trigger suggests a Carolina origin, as does the front side facing where the lock is set in, and what appears to be a hand-made back action lock with the gunsmith's initials stamped on it. I'd look at North or South Carolina as a possibly state of origin, and would probably favor South Carolina as most likely. It's a nice little gun in good shape and deserves to be gently cleaned and preserved for posterity. Shelby Gallien

Tanselman said:
Your rifle is rather late, so has few identifying details. But the strongly hooked rear trigger suggests a Carolina origin, as does the front side facing where the lock is set in, and what appears to be a hand-made back action lock with the gunsmith's initials stamped on it. I'd look at North or South Carolina as a possibly state of origin, and would probably favor South Carolina as most likely. It's a nice little gun in good shape and deserves to be gently cleaned and preserved for posterity. Shelby Gallien

Its far more likely that the hardware, barrel and lock were bought from a hardware store or catalog. The TG and Buttplate are generic mid-19th C. Here is a Dimick (St Louis) with a similar guard.
http://fp1.centurytel.net/Songmann/Firearms FS sub pages/Dimick.htm
The stock design is similar to New York area.
IMGP1438.jpg

This is a Wm Moore Rochester NY. Bar type lock rather than back action.

By the time this rifle was made it was possible to buy everything on the stock ready to install and even engraved from suppliers like Tryon. So trying to attach a place to the TG is impossible.
Locks might be left unmarked, they could have the gunstockers name/initials or the importers name or the hardware store the retailed them. Most came from Birmingham, England.

Dan

Nominal .38 cal. The barrel is about 1" so, if the breech and drum are sound, freshing it out would certainly be an option.

Duane

Okay, I know what I'm going to say is going to be like poking a hornet's nest but I'm going to say it anyway. You are never going to sell this rifle. It is an heirloom and precious to you because your grandfather owned it. so, here is what I would do, and let me stress that it is what I would do. I am a gun shooter, not a gun collector so I would rather have it in shootable condition and shoot it. First, I'd carefully clean it being careful to remove only the dirt and crud. Then I'd remove the lock and clean the insides up and oil them so that it works as it did originally. Next, I'd thoroughly clean the bore so that it could be inspected by a qualified guinsmith. Then I'd take it to a qualified gunsmith and have him inspect it to see if it is safe to shoot. If he gives it the okay, I'd shoot it. It would be a way to connect with your grandfather.

However, if you are a collector or plan to sell it to a collector, just carefully wipe away the dust as others have suggested and wipe out the bore and oil the metal and do nothing else. The less you do to it, the more you preserve it's collector value and, consequently, it's monitary value.

If you intend to shoot it it MUST BE PROOF FIRED WITH A SIGNIFICANT OVER LOAD. Inspection is nice but its not a proof. Its the hidden flaws that cause problems and the reason European countries have gov't proof houses.
While shooting old guns is cool and I have done it, there is really little reason to shoot one very much. I have a friend who owns a heavy FL match rifle by Boyer. He shoots it now and then but is concerned about vent erosion if he shoots it any significant amount.
Shooting any old firearm is a risk to the firearm and the shooter.
Dan

Latest posts

Back