• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANO Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is about all we can get downunder it is a good powder to use, not quite as good as swiss .

A Report published in 2003 compared WANO and Scheutzen to an "improved" version of GOEX that appeared in 2001. The report detailed how in 1993, when WANO made its debut, it was poor powder. However by 2002, it had improved, and was almost as powerful as GOEX.

SUMMARY:
"In Dec. 2001, Goex went back to a maple wood charcoal that resulted in a powder
exhibiting the ballistic strength of the powder produced at the now abandoned Moosic,
PA powder plant. The 3Fg ballistic data shows that this latest shipment of WANO
matches the ballistic strength of the Minden Goex produced up until Dec. 2001
. The 2Fg
ballistic data shows the latest WANO to be just a bit slower than the so-called “new”
Goex made with maple wood charcoal.

To raise the WANO velocities to those of “new” Goex would require an increase in the wheel-milling time of the WANO powder..... The alder wood charcoal used in the WANO powders shows good “strength” through the range of charges used. Increasing the wheel-milling time for the WANO powder would simply bump the entire line up to that seen with Goex. The graph showing the 3Fg velocities supports the idea that WANO’s present alder charcoal is capable of faster burn rates simply through increased wheel-milling times
"

So it was good powder a decade ago, and if they haven't changed it's still a "good" powder. IF they followed the report recommendation then it may be equal to or better than GOEX. A decade is a lot of time and plenty of time to improve. Unfortunately, it's also enough time to encounter problems...so you'll have to try it to be sure.

LD

As phil said, it's probably the most commonly available powder here, and a lot cheaper than Swiss! I've had no problems with it, although other more experienced members reckon it's a bit dirty.

I honestly can't tell the difference in how dirty it is compared to GOEX. It's black powder I think patch lube has as much to do with how dirty the barrel gets as the powder you use.

Works fine for me.
What granulation did you get?
I'm using PPP wich is pretty similar to FFF and am having good results in my smoothbore.

I can't directly compare GOEX and Wano because I wasn't able to shoot the powders side by side in my gun. But having shot both powders (GOEX and Wano) with a couple of months in between I couldn't determine a big difference.

Simply gotta try.

Silex

I have been using Graf & Sons FFG for a couple years. It is made by Wano. Great accuracy in .50. Maybe a little dirty with heavy loads. Will be using in rehabed .58 musket after deer season.

Hi Gents,

Wano is my home Brand here in Germany because it is cheaper opposide to Brands like Swiss or KIK and it performs very well in Frontstuffers and BPCR.
Wano offers BP in different granulation and grades
P Powder is the Premium gradeit is more polished than die other Grades. F- Powders are similar to American Grades.Another Grade was Sporting Powder sells in F Grades also.
I was using the Poor Hunting Powder No.1 with good success. It was a bit dirty but it has had alltimes good accuracy.
Since some times ago i was changing to the Sporting Powder and tried the FFFg Grade in my 45-70 Gov. with great success. Clean Brand and good accuracy.
Also made a trial with the same but Fg Grade
Finaly i will do the next with the FFg Brand and think about i settle on them.
Here are a pic about one target with the Hunting Powder No.1 i made at 50m Freehand .54 Cal. Hege Uberti Hawken .520 RB no wiping between

I feel that Wano is much simlar to Goex Powder.
I`ve very curious about the New Old Eynsford Powder but it was not available here at my place.
Some Gents at Shilo Rifle Forum tested it with great success.

regards
Klaus

027.jpg

Well, Klaus, that is good shooting no matter what powder you are using. :thumbsup:

Back