• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walnut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I stumbled across a slab of walnut in my travels today, 2" thick, almost 20" wide tapering down to 10" X about 24" tall.

Just sittin around collecting dust, when I inquired about the wood, ole boy said "just get it out my way, tired of stumblin on it" , I says "ok" ( I did cut him some slack on his bill )

When I got home today I set the band saw up to rip some 2" blocks off and then rip them down again so I got a bunch of 1"X1"X3" blocks for turning measures.

Thought it kinda looked a bit funny so I turned one down and noticed

this
IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

At this point I'm gettin a bit excited and thinking about the possibilities for this wood, calmed down a bit and got it wet and found

THIS
IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

This grain is spectacular, I have not looked real hard at the rest of this wood, but the way it was cut leads me to believe that this grain runs throughout the slab.

It was a great day.

Yup,

This stuff should turn out some great measures, I went back out last night and turned some more of these down and I hafta admit, there is some serious beauty throughout this wood.

I did have to turn the lathe up a notch to get away from the grain tear, I am sure this will present new challenges.

But well worth the perseverance.

I did have to turn the lathe up a notch to get away from the grain tear, I am sure this will present new challenges.

Extra speed is fine when turning walnut. Actually, it turns nicely but requires grain/pore filling to take a good finish. It is not one of my favorite small projects turning woods. PT sent.

Yessiree,

Its all about the details when working with this sort of stuff, I get new wood tools today .

:applause:

I bet you are wishing you had left a piece or two big enough for a pistol stock or knife handles! I find that when turning figured wood the faster the speed and finer the cuts work best. In fact on some wood I do almost all of my stock removal with course sand papers from the drum sander. :idunno: :idunno:

Its funny you would mention holding back some of that slab of wood. :grin: :wink: :grin:

My fist cut was to section off a piece thats 8" wide, that piece was promptly put aside.

The remaining odd shaped section was cut up into 2" X 2" X the available length, about 4 progressively shorter blocks of lumber.

Of those 4 blocks I cut one of them into 1" x 1" X 3" blocks for turning the measures, the remaining 2" x 2" blocks are available for knife scales, small boxes, more measures, etc.

Here is the general figure from which that measure blank came from, these are 2" square X 24+" long
IMG_2948.jpg

And the measure produced from the round pictured above.
IMG_2941.jpg

looks like they would make some real nice handles for knives too, whether slabed or more round stock for say a Scottish Dirk type handle, just some thoughts YMHS Birdman, ps, for the real small pieces think buttons, beads n washer shaped pieces for jewlery etc, wood with good grain is fun to play with in many many ways
:hatsoff:

Thanks,

I appreciate the input and will add that to the ideas for these lumber projects.

Had to clean up the shop today and shift gears to some other projects that are requiring my attention.

Back