• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walker Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FV Rago

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Been wanting to get one to add to my little collection. Who makes the best Walker, besides Colt since I can't afford that one.

There are; IAR, Cimaron, Pietta, and a few more.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Frank

I'd second the Uberti. Have owned one for about 8 months. It's alot of gun for the money. Very well made and accurate (but shoots high). I load 50 gr of 3f, lubed wad, .454 ball and Remington #11's. No overball lube (messy). Have to squeeze the cap slightly with a dowel (never squeeze with your fingers) and they stay put on the nipples fine. Yea, mine drops the loading lever but I read about a fix involving a slight filing flat of the top of the 'ball' part of the retention piece that holds the lever to keep it from falling. Gonna do that to mine tomorrow. Otherwise, a very fine gun for a reasonable price. :imo:

Lois

Uberti.No question about it.The only complaint I have about the walkers is the loading lever tends to come unstuck upon firing.Best regards,J.A.

"The only complaint I have about the walkers is the loading lever tends to come unstuck upon firing"

(For those folks who don't own a Walker, the loading lever is held in place by a little spring that hangs down from the bottom of the barrel. This spring slips into a notch in the top of the loading lever to hold it in place.
Almost every time you fire the big gun, the loading lever slips off of the spring and drops down, running the loading ram into the nearest cylinder chamber mouth. This of course tends to lock up the cylinder making cocking impossible.)

Ain't it great? We Walker owners get to re-enact the history of the gun, just like the people who used it when it was new.
If you think that dam loading lever spring is bad, just think about what you would have thought when you really needed the gun to function right with the Indians charging you.

Folks should notice that one of the first things redesigned when they made the Colt Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon was the loading lever latch. The 1st and 2nd model Dragoon also changed the latch design.

I'm guessing that when the original was in use, a bit of leather thong and a reef knot would fix that lever problem!

I don't know what a reef knot is, but I can guess. My solution was a piece of leather with a hole nearly the outside diamter of the barrel, and a second hole slightly larger than the outside diameter of the loading lever. Kind off looks like a figure eight. Stretch the big hole over the barrel, and slide ti to a spot on the barrel where the loading lever will fit into the second hole.

The leather is flexible enought to slip over the end of the loading lever after loading, and no more dropped lever problems! :peace:

Your leather loading lever retention system is the kind of innovative thinking that comes about from the muzzleloading personality type. I just love to hear of the users' various home-made "fixes" that keep manufacturing and design flaws in check.

Suggestion for the Forum -

Whether or not we need a whole new section is not for me to say, but it would be nice to have a special location (maybe in shooters' accessories; though it might fall under builder's bench as well) for these kinds of "inventions". If there are other's who would also like this to happen, would you please speak up and make your requests known as well.

Regards,
WV_Hillbilly

PS Thanks again for sharing that idea. When once upon several lustrums ago, (when I owned a Walker), I used to use leather shoelacing and I just kept looping it around both the barrel and loading lever and tying it off for each cylinder full of shooting and removing it for reloading.

I have three Walkers--two Colts and a Uberti--and none of them drops the lever when fired. I had a Replica Arms version many years ago and that one dropped the lever with regularity. I suspect the shape of the little knob on the end of the retainer is what makes the difference.

Another vote for a Uberti Walker. Love the one I have. Yes, they shoot high, you will have to file down the nose of the hammer a bunch, re-set the notch to get point of aim at 25 or 50 yrds. I would suggest buying a second hammer as well if you plan on shooting the conicals. The POA for the round balls is significantly different than for the conicals, which weigh a bit more. I have carved the hammer nose of the second one for the conical bullets. I then switch hammers depending on which load I am shooting.

Back