• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walker Hog Harvest Planned To Celebrate NRA DX w/ Revolver!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too Funny! :haha: :) :grin:

I think for something with claws :shocked2: I would have used both revolvers AT THE SAME TIME, since I train both strong-hand & weak-hand in various other pistol disciplines :stir: .

smokin .50 said:
The Hunt was very successful! One shot in the "Boiler Room" from the mighty Walker did the trick! A friend gave me some hand-cast soft lead 225 grain Lee Conicals and I put those on top of the 52 grain charge of Goex 3Fg. Really good expansion and went through the vitals hitting both lungs.

A friend of mine & hunting partner took some cell phone pix. I have to pester him for the image so I can post it here.

More to follow!

Dave

Would love to see a photo of the expansion if possible.

The Butcher hasn't called me to report finding the slug. That doesn't mean it passed-through though, as the Guides gut them rather quickly and turn them onto their belly's to drain them after field dressing. I didn't feel like sorting through entrails looking for it and it could still be there...

The holes in the lungs were between quarter & half-dollar sized, so expansion DID happen! Of particular note is the fact that the .30-06 round seems to be too much for them: pass-throughs that required every hunter using one to do a head shot behind the ear. Don't get me wrong--they were all "dead" laying there--they just needed a final shot to avoid further suffering.....

I never felt "undergunned" since I did such extensive research on the revolver forum mentioned by Bigbore4401. That research told me it was indeed possible to harvest an animal with significantly LESS gun, such as the 1860 Colt Army and the 1858 Remmy New Model Army.

The guy who owns the operation where the hunt took place commented he thought I'd have to shoot it (my revolver) dry, since the world record for .44's (Mag centerfire) was 17 shots with a few hits, lol! Then I told him about the Qualification Program and how hard it was to get DX & how much practice that all entailed. At THAT point, he understood and offered a hearty congratulations and said to come back any time. Seems like they've seen their share of Yahoos shootin' unsighted hand guns....

Can't wait to get the piggy back from the Butcher, all freezer wrapped & labeled, ready to cook!

Dave

Back