• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Earned Distinguished Expert Qualification At Last!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your accomplishment, and to spend it with your son makes it all the more special.

To Acorn Mush, Jethro, VT, and fyerfighter: Thanks for the kudos!

Having my son Andy there to spot for me was great :) especially with the last target when I shot (6) nines and (4) tens in the sitting position. The look on his face was precious :haha: and I'll remember that moment the rest of my life :thumbsup:

Dave

Congratulations! I got my Expert in 4-position small-bore (.22lr) at 50ft. on my high school rifle team, but never quite sealed the deal on the Distinguished Expert. I've always kinda regretted that I didn't finish it out. That's really impressive, man. You should be rally proud! :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the Kudos!

Our local club has a small bore weekly match for teens. This year at Camp Perry, one of the girls placed first in the Country I think for her age bracket. She's in the record book for sure and her name is Amy Bock, from East Brunswick NJ. Proud Papa her dad is, as he's the coach :thumbsup:

Dave

Did ya pay for it all on you MASTERCARD. :grin:

Seriously, that's a tremendous accomplishment.

Have you received your qualification certification from the NRA ?

I think they issue a ID Card for future competitions.

:hatsoff:

Thanks for the congrats!

Our Club's Black Powder League Chairman runs the Qualification Matches. I'll make sure that he's aware of the need to send in the names of those that have earned rank to the NRA. We're all new at this and so far none of our members have been "officially" recognized (like printed somewhere). We do have all of our certificates of recognition, rockers, arm patches, and pins for each level earned thus far.

He also has written someone in the NRA about the outrageous difficulty in shooting the B-19 Qualification target with hand guns at 50 yards, strong-hand only. It's an awfully small Bull--much smaller than the targets you get to shoot at for the center fire pistol qualification! WE CHECKED!! I'm not a whiner by any means, and I consider myself a decent shot, but NO ONE in the club has thus far attained the Expert rank in pistol. As it stands right now, a shooter would have to put all ten shots into an area the size of your fist at 50 yards to make Expert. Two of us are DX's in rifle, with more folks soon to join us. I hope that his letter gets answered, so maybe we can switch-over to the center-fire 50-yard pistol targets :)

Still practicing!

Dave

Dave: Congratulations, first. Next, are you shooting .22 target pistols with scopes on them? This is what is being used at " The Masters", to shoot the olympic style .22 targets in that match. There, the target is more like a 3" disc, and its hit or miss to score. Paul

paulvallandigham said:
Dave: Congratulations, first. Next, are you shooting .22 target pistols with scopes on them? This is what is being used at " The Masters", to shoot the olympic style .22 targets in that match. There, the target is more like a 3" disc, and its hit or miss to score. Paul

Paul,

Sorry for not seeing your post sooner! Being a wedding photographer in September means my eyes get too tired editing images on the computer to find the time necessary to check-in on the forum as often as I'd like to. Thanks for the congrats!

As far as the Qualification Matches for pistols mentioned above, I was referring to black powder pistols & revolvers, with iron sights, shooting the 13 round course of fire (twice: once at 25 yards and once at 50 yards) with the best ten shots at each yardage counting for your score, and shot on the B-19 International target using strong-hand only technique! A shooter must get 80-85 points at the 25 yard leg of the match in order to even have a chance at winding-up with a net score of 150, which is what you need to make Expert in black powder. Distinguished Expert in bp pistol is even harder to obtain, as the required score is (I think) 165 as a minimum :shake: !

Traditional center-fire Bullseye Qualification uses a target that has a larger bull, AND the outside scoring ring gets you 5 points instead of only a single point! That's the reason for the League Chairman to inquire of the NRA whether or not the use of the B-19 target is a miss-print as far as the pistol portion of the Qualifications goes.

Just to give you an idea, the X-ring of the B-19 is LESS than the size of a quarter. When you lay the B-19 that you've just shot onto the slow-fire NRA pistol target (to see where the holes line-up) you can see 6's become 8's, 7's become 9's or 10's,9's become X's and 1's become 5's! That's a BIG difference! Like I mentioned before, the League Chairman is a good shot and so am I. His best attempt so far has been a 162x200, with me around 148 I think.

Hopefully we'll get a response to his inquiry soon.

So that's the story for now.

Has anyone in any of the clubs in your neck of the woods tried to do this Qualification for bp pistols?

Dave

Its my understand that a lot of the shooters at Friendship are now shooting very small caliber pistols to qualify for those small targets.( I didn't get over to the pistol line in June to confirm this personally.) .22 to .28 caliber pistols are becoming the norm. A small powder charge of 10 grains of FFFg powder is enough to send the small pills flying to the targets even out at 50 yards, without any perceptible recoil.

I agree with you that a different target needs to be used for that match event.

.22 to .28 cal.?? Sounds like that's really "gaming" it to me! Except for rabbits & such, what purpose does the real world have with such a puny round?

Dragoons remmys, and single shot .50's are what black powder hand guns are all about!

We'll see if someone responds about the B-19 targets.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Dave

Come on, Dave, I didn't want to start a war! I just am reporting what is going on at the nationals. I think when big prizes, or trophies, or record book entries are in issue, there will always be " gaming " going on.

I don't like " Gaming" much either. The closest I have gotten is doing Trick Shooting Demonstrations for audiences at club demonstrations. This not only thrills the audiences, but attracts new members. Its how I got involved with BP guns, BTW. {Note to new members: My article on Off-hand and Trick Shooting can be found here on this forum. Go to Member Resources on the top of the index page, then scroll down to articles. Click on articles and you will come to a Table of Contents. Look down the list to find "Off-hand Shooting". All of my "secrets" to doing trick shots are described there.}

As much as its exciting to shoot small groups on a target of any shape, and its truly necessary if you really want to learn how to shoot handguns accurately, quickly, target punching is a bit of a bore to me. There is NO SPECTATOR appeal to it at all. Who takes a large telescope to a range to be able to sit behind the firing line and determine where a projectile lands in the target 100 or more yards down range? At least Silhouette shooting allows spectators to see the target fall over, or swing, when hit. All the Action shooting courses for modern handguns are much more interesting to attend and watch for the same reason. Only snuffing candle flames at night has the same appeal when shooting BP guns.

O-K, Paul, no war here!

There's a meeting tonight at the club...maybe we'll have an answer :hmm:

Stay tuned :thumbsup:

Dave

Back