• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

W Richards percussion double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thongg64

32 Cal.
Reaction score
have a percussion double W Richards looks to be an 8 ga and barrels are 40 inches long has a crown stamp with letters VMP maybe on underside and # 8 stamped on both barrels had a charge in 1 side blew it out looks for info and value will try posting some pictures later thanks

Shine said:
W. Richards is a Belgian knock off of Wesley Richards.

Wesley Richards is the American spelling for Westley Richards. Probably and Ellis Island thing :idunno:

Squire, why don't you straighten us colonials up once and for all about the W. Richards thing? Whenever a gun with that label shows up the automatic response is always that it is a knock-off Belgian piece of junk, but I've seen info indicating that's not necessarily the case. There was an English company from 1780, W. Richards, making quality guns, which is still in business in Liverpool, wasn't there? William Richards, maybe? Cans't thou shed light?

Spence

George said:
Whenever a gun with that label shows up the automatic response is always that it is a knock-off Belgian piece of junk

Hi Spence

Just because something is made in Belgium does not make it junk. I do believe that a lot of Belgian pieces have become junk by not being looked after, left to rust, repaired by idiots etc., but that is not the fault of the maker.

How many W Richards guns have I seen with English proof marks? None. With Belgian? Maybe 3 or 4.
I own Westley Richards sn:3503 which cost me all of £290 and is :eek:ff

I also own a gun marked W MOORE which is another guaranteed Belgian clunker name, only it isn't. It is undeniably English. Don't write things off too soon (unless you want to remove another bidder before he bumps your price up).

best

Robin

There's a W Richards located in Pocklington, York, North Yorkshire and noting "since 1780". Looks like we all need to rethink "W Richards" marked guns!! :thumbsup: :wink:

W. Richards can mean a number of things (may of which tossed about above). Pictures of the Proof Marks would be the most helpful evidence for what is really going on with your interesting sounding gun. Squire Robin and Spence 10's posts are the most knowledgeable.

Pictures, particularly of the proof marks, would do a lot to establish origin.
Westley Richards is a famous maker; the spurious name guns likely were trying to capitalize on the name.
There were other W Richards, though. I have a British percussion stalking rifle which I suspect was William Richards. It is a very nice quality piece, not a knock-off.

While I cannot read the letters below the crowns in the proof marks, they, and the gun, look British. Not Belgian.

Checking the proof mark in "The Gun and its Development" by W. W. Greener, that seems to be the Guardians, Birmingham, "special Definitive proof of barrels proved once only, according to rule 6", and is "The Letters "VBP" interlaced in a Cypher surmounted by a Crown."

Spence

Latest posts

Back