• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Virginia boy here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper Scott

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and have been looking for a forum about flintlock long rifles to learn all I can about them. I have several percussion rifles and a few cap and ball pistols, so I'm looking to get into a flintlock sometime in the near future. I'm retired, so there is not a lot of money to waste, but I am pretty handy and know my way around common tools and projects. I was wanting to convert a Traditions KY rifle from a percussion to a flintlock since I have a good donor rifle and I already got the drum out of the barrel. My question is "has anyone in the forum did a conversion like this and how successful was it. I realize the cost of such a project will be close to $250 with a liner and L&R lock. Thanks in advance for the help and insight.

Howdy from a fellow Virginian! I know that there are a couple threads on here about converting to flintlock as I wanted to do it to one of my rifles. I ended up getting a dedicated flintlock rifle because of the breech design on my pedersoli being a known PITA with a flintlock firing mechanism.

Where abouts in VA are ya? I'm over by Montross.

Howdy from a fellow Virginian! I know that there are a couple threads on here about converting to flintlock as I wanted to do it to one of my rifles. I ended up getting a dedicated flintlock rifle because of the breech design on my pedersoli being a known PITA with a flintlock firing mechanism.

Where abouts in VA are ya? I'm over by Montross.
I'm in Southwest VA in a small town called Wise. I did find the threads you were talking about, but only one person said they had done the conversion. I was digging around for some people that had actually done the conversion on a Traditions if I could locate them.

I'm in Southwest VA in a small town called Wise. I did find the threads you were talking about, but only one person said they had done the conversion. I was digging around for some people that had actually done the conversion on a Traditions if I could locate them.
Gotcha! I've been through there at one point, visiting some family friends, the Meade's.

Welcome, from North Carolina! We will expect to see pictures as you progress in this project.😎
Sure thing. I'll try to document the project along the way so others can see what to do and or what not to do. If it works I'll be a happy camper and if it doesn't I will know not to visit this kind of project in the future.

Back