• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Videos- Firing India Bess with American Pioneer 3F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticap

54 Cal.
Reaction score
There's a fellow on youtube who loaded American Pioneer Powder 3F into the bore of his India made flintlock and using Goex 4F in the pan, he fired 10 shots without a misfire.

The caption for the video states: "Trying out some new powder, touted as a clean burning black powder substitute. I've read a huge difference of opinion about this powder, and several people flatly state that it will NOT work in a flintlock.
Well, here you have it. I fired 10 shots of varying powder charge, all lead ball, and not one misfire or failure to discharge. I think the FFFg is the right choice, the grain size is bigger than regular black powder, so having the FFFg probably helped with ignition here. Also, prime the pan with NORMAL black powder, it's not a big deal and doesn't make a big mess.
Clean up was a breeze and nearly zero fouling. Very happy."

The next 9 second video was posted by the same fellow 2 days later.

The caption states: "This is I think the 8th shot out of the musket without swabbing, cleaning or lube of any kind.
After 15 shots the barrel still looked 'brand new', this powder seems consistent and reliable, not a single misfire that day.
....also at 20 paces we hit the crock-pot every time.. .71 lead ball with paper cartridge wadding."

Last edited:
There's a fellow on youtube who loaded American Pioneer Powder 3F into the bore of his India made flintlock and using Goex 4F in the pan, he fired 10 shots without a misfire.

The caption for the video states: "Trying out some new powder, touted as a clean burning black powder substitute. I've read a huge difference of opinion about this powder, and several people flatly state that it will NOT work in a flintlock.
Well, here you have it. I fired 10 shots of varying powder charge, all lead ball, and not one misfire or failure to discharge. I think the FFFg is the right choice, the grain size is bigger than regular black powder, so having the FFFg probably helped with ignition here. Also, prime the pan with NORMAL black powder, it's not a big deal and doesn't make a big mess.
Clean up was a breeze and nearly zero fouling. Very happy."

The next 9 second video was posted by the same fellow 2 days later.

The caption states: "This is I think the 8th shot out of the musket without swabbing, cleaning or lube of any kind.
After 15 shots the barrel still looked 'brand new', this powder seems consistent and reliable, not a single misfire that day.
....also at 20 paces we hit the crock-pot every time.. .71 lead ball with paper cartridge wadding."

Article,
You need to link that to the India Guns thread to stir the crock pot!!
Heh! Heh! Get it!!??

The Sicilian

Never shot the stuff myself, but those I know in SASS that did, complained it (at least the Shockey's Gold version) lost its power once the container was opened in the high humidity here in the Carolinas. Believe this used to Clear Shot, but they were sued out of business and came back as American Pioneer Powder. And these are six year old videos - may want to confirm current formulation works in flint locks.

I've shot it in my .62 cal smooth bore trade rifle, primed with 3f, no hang fires, no problems. My .40 cal SMR did not like it at all, it would fire but not very reliable. Seems to work good in big bore smooth barrels with large good sparking locks. I prefer real black but I would use it if I had to. This stuff burns very clean.

I have shot and hunted with that powder that adds up to 21. Prime with Goex 4f. Never had a problem in my flinter as far as ignition, but after the second shot there is a crud ring that makes seating the projectile nearly impossible. Factoring that in I dont see any advantage to just using Goex all the way. For simplicity Im just going Goex all the time when the sum21 stuff runs out. I would try the AP powder if real BP wasnt available anymore but not otherwise.

I buy the real stuff. Keep in mind every dollar you spend on the substitutes is one less dollar put towards the ever-shrinking real powder business. With increased government control and legislation, a rapidly aging demographic of customers, and less and less people interested in the hobby in general, Infear in a matter of a couple of decades authentic gunpowder will be either extremely difficult to get ahold of or it will be totally gone.

I just opened up a can of APP. 3FG. that I have had for 27 yrs, and it fired off just fine. I did put the 2 packets of DESICANT in the MICROAVE for 1 minute to refresh them.

black powder is a mechanical mixture not a chemical mixture means it is super stable over the years. I have shot powder from the uk old meteor powder made in 1964. shot good. no worries mate.. cheers

The OP, Arcticap, hasn't been around for a year or more. Hope he's doing OK.

His posts were always interesting, encouraging and useful. I miss him.

Last edited:
Back