• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vernier Sight on a Traditions 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden sky

40 Cal
Reaction score
is a vernier peep site money wasted on a slow twist traditions barrel? was interested in getting out further down range, but I dont want to drop $2000 on a long range BP rifle.. any thoughts on this or other rifle options that are affordable for a peep site set up? maybe an inline BP rifle would work better?

What distance are you wanting to get out to? A slow twist usually is best with round balls, minie bullets or short conicals, none of which really efficient at long range. You might have a fast twist barrel made to fit your Traditions stock and hardware. I know Oregon barrel company makes drop in stocks for Thompson Center but I don’t know if they have any that fit Traditions.

A vernier tang will help at longer ranges, plus have the increased elevation needed to lob the bullet into the target.

Also banish the thought of an inline, we will not speak such blasphemy here 😀

i would like to reach 300-400yards. i'm no Quigly but this seems like its achievable.. who makes a decent sight for the Kentucky .50???
150 grains of fffg and a .50 ball ...any idea how accurate would that be?

would a williams peep even get me close?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1184112592

Last edited:
i would like to reach 300-400yards. i'm no Quigly but this seems like its achievable.. who makes a decent sight for the Kentucky .50???
150 grains of fffg and a .50 ball ...any idea how accurate would that be?

would a williams peep even get me close?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1184112592
Nope. Not with a roundball anyway. Rough calculation, but if you have a 2000 FPS .490” roundball sighted in at 100 yards, a 30” sight radius on your gun and a steady hold, you will likely need nearly 4” of vertical sight adjustment to compensate for the nearly 40’ of drop you will see between 100 and 400 yards. Calculations are made from a quick glance at some charts I have and are just initial guesstimates on my part. Others with more practical experience will chime in. But you are going to need more sight. Figure $500 or so. Then you have the front sight to consider. Keep us posted.

Not a direct correlation but, a friend of mine shoots 600 yard matches with his percussion Sharps. He said the mid-fange tragectory would clear a telephone pole.

300-400 yards you’d be looking for something like a 1-20 twist barrel in .40 or .45 caliber with a 400-500 grain bullet of soft lead sized to bore size with about a 60 grain 3f or maybe a 80 grain 2f powder charge with a vernier tang sight. Look at the specifications for a Pedersoli Gibbs it’s made for that kind of shooting.

If your Traditions has a narrow curved buttplate it will likely be pretty uncomfortable to shoot the above loads.

You might add a vernier tang sight to your Traditions and try soft lead maxi balls, it may get you out farther at lower cost, but likely not near 300 yards. Somewhere to start without too much added expense.

so basically the 50 cal balls are to large to attempt this idea, should i be looking at a .40 or 32 cal setup?

300-400 yards you’d be looking for something like a 1-20 twist barrel in .40 or .45 caliber with a 400-500 grain bullet of soft lead sized to bore size with about a 60 grain 3f or maybe a 80 grain 2f powder charge with a vernier tang sight. Look at the specifications for a Pedersoli Gibbs it’s made for that kind of shooting.

If your Traditions has a narrow curved buttplate it will likely be pretty uncomfortable to shoot the above loads.
can you recommend a rifle under 800 bux

Under 800...
Get a drop-in barrel made to your specifications for a used TC Renegade. Buy one for cheap with the barrel rusty from neglect. Have barrel smith use all the same parts. And glass bed it to the stock.

I wish I could. About the least expensive way would be a used TC Renegade stock and hardware (flat buttplate and common parts) with a new Oregon barrel .45 drop in 1-20 barrel, a Lyman 17a front sight and inexpensive vernier tang sight from Dixie or Track of the Wolf, or bought used. You might do it for $800.

Look at Idaho Lewis' site and see what he does with factory TC 1/48 barrels. No ridiculous powder charges no round balls. Paper patch conicals and expensive vernier peep sights. Go to YouTube and watch what he can do. Not cheap though!

Back