• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent pick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larks

40 Cal
Reaction score
First attempt.....

While looking at what equipment I might need (want) to start putting together for my Baker rifle I came across this style of vent pick. So I plundered my bucket of offcuts of Damascus pattern steel (which I make up form 4140 and 17N20 for knives) and came up with this completely plagiarised effort for a bit of a fun project this afternoon.

It may not be as delicate as what is otherwise available but I opted for a wide flat end for my ten thumbs to be able to hold it comfortably......though I guess the proof will be in the using.... I’ll more than likely refine it a bit more in a second iteration

IMG_5082.JPG

IMG_5083.JPG

IMG_5085.JPG

IMG_5086.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_5092.JPG

My stamp didn’t come out very well but it was a pretty narrow target...

Last edited:
I took a little more time over a second attempt and am much happier with how it came out. It’s still much larger than anything else that I’ve seen but I find something like this easier to use than anything fine and fiddly (and less likely to be lost .... :) ....)

IMG_5105.JPG
IMG_5103.JPG

Back