• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent pick question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legionair

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Quick question all....

I've seen some rifles with the vent pick in the stock.... How is this normally accomplished?

Are there thimbles like for the ramrod, or some other method?

Just curious...Thanks

Legion

This one is basically a fancy brass tube with 3 prongs I guess you would call them, that hold it in place in the stock. The pick slides in and out of that.

jephrifle28.jpg

The staples under a cheekpiece would be for a steel vent pick. If you have "Rifles of Colonial America, vol. 2", look at gun number 111. There is a nifty little pick clipped into the staples. My belief is that this was the more common use of the staples (rather than for a feather). You will also sometimes (though not very often) see a hole in the rear of the cheekpiece, sometimes even with a threaded insert, where the pick will be inserted into the stock. Sometimes a threaded inlay on the bottom of the stock behind the triggerguard would hold a threaded vent pick.

Back