• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Polishing fine details on brass hardware

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What’s the best method for polishing the really fine details on brass fittings, like the tiny wedding bands on the ends of ramrod pipes? I picked up a set of the small detail sanders, and they work great for areas like the flats on the thimbles, but even these fine tools seem too big for these tiny grooved areas.

Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• 13ACF7C6-5C4A-4EE0-90E9-855485046365.jpeg
    13ACF7C6-5C4A-4EE0-90E9-855485046365.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Personally I just fold some 400 grit paper and use the knife edge you have formed to get in tight places. You can go to 600 if needed but then a quick pass on a loose muslin wheel charged with tripoli should do the trick...at least to the naked eye. Jewelry supply houses have brushes that you can charge with your desired polishing compound and chuck in a powered handpiece to get into tight places.

When working sterling in jewelry applications I sometimes stipple areas that are difficult to get to and then chemically oxidize. Probably not an option in your case...However, oxidation is your friend, time mellows out areas that are hard to polish once your desired finish is achieved.

Yep, what the Old-Duckman says, fold some sandpaper, if it is a little wide at the top wrap the sandpaper around something with an edge that is not sharp, triangular or knife file etc.

I use files and finer grits of paper down to 800 or 1000. A cream polish on cloth or a fine brush for final cleaning.

Do not use mechanical buffing, especially on sharper edges like the pipe flats. It will round and dull them.

For the ramrod pipes, I mount them on an appropriately sized drill bit wrapped with painter's tape, spin them with my drill while using my thumb nail, cloth and polishing paste to apply pressure to the pipe and dig into the groove. Cheap, works, and grows back.

I like the string idea mentioned above, too.

Brass is pretty easy to polish with minimal tools and supplies.

I first rough out the part with a smooth file, once finished I start using Emory at 150, 180, 220 and up to 320 but no higher than 320.

You can also burnish brass lightly with good success, with a stainless steel burnisher.

I maintain with semichrom polish.

Last edited:
Back