• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent liner installation question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patch knife

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm installing a white lightning vent liner , and the hole for the vent liner intrudes a little into the breach plug area . Is it okay to file down the vent liner so it doesn't touch the breach plug or should I file a notch in the breach plug ? Thanks in advance for any help with this .

The TH liner can't protrude into the bore or breech plug and to make the entire "funnel" of the liner exposed to the powder, an angled, cone shaped groove in the plug face is req'd. This angled, cone shape is a little larger than the liner funnel....Fred

And just to make sure you know, IF you put that groove in the breechplug, DO NOT try to drill it with a drill thru the vent liner hole. Doing so will elongate the vent liner hole & then you will not have full threads on the vent liner & that would be unsafe. :shake:

I left the breech plug in and drilled into it ( just barely,I was using a press with a stop so i didnt go to far),Then i took the plug out and round filed a nice taper.I love my White Lightning :grin:

DTCoffin said:
I left the breech plug in and drilled into it ( just barely,I was using a press with a stop so i didnt go to far),Then i took the plug out and round filed a nice taper.I love my White Lightning :grin:

Shoulda read briddog's post before drilling that plug. I hope the person standing to your right, on the firing line, has a hard head, 'cause those liners can come out with considerable velocity.

You might want to install the next larger dia liner, just for safety's sake.

God bless

You might have misunderstood or I miswrote , but the way it was done, it's not coming out.If it read as though I bored into the breech plug and reamed from the new hole,thats was not the intent.I removed the breech plug and filed a slight taper at the point where the drill bit contacted the breech plug, so the powder would be angled toward the liner.Exactly as I have seen in Several of the building books and movies.hope that clears it up if there was confusion.

Just for clarification & a good time to show this again. This is a definitely a not what to do, & a real good example. No......., I didn't do it, this was sent to me by a guy that has built well over 100 rifles..... :shocked2:
He drilled the vent liner with the breechplug in, hit the edge & the bit walked over = an elongated vent liner hole. The end result is as you can see, no threads on 2 sides of the vent liner hole & partial threads on the other 2 sides, if you look at it as 4 sides or from 4 positions. Anyway, even when I am 100% Certain I am going to miss the breechplug, I always take the breechplug out before drilling.

BadVentThreads1.jpg

:thumbsup:

Sure doesn't take much drill deflection to destroy shallow 32TPI threads. Might have worked that time but it's not good practice. After tapping the liner hole, the plug is screwed home and a scribe is used to outline the location of the cone on the plug face and filed in. Then w/ the plug removed, any liner interference w/ the bore and/or plug face is noted and filed off and then the liner is permanently installed....Fred

I've successfully installed my vent liner , thanks everyone . I had already removed the breach plug , and drilled , and tapped the hole , so that wasn't an issue . Everything went fine , and when I filed it flush I couldn't see it was even there .

DTCoffin said:
You might have misunderstood or I miswrote , but the way it was done, it's not coming out.If it read as though I bored into the breech plug and reamed from the new hole,thats was not the intent.

I understood that you merely marked the location of the area you wanted to file away. However, many drill presses are so sloppy that even the little amount of side thrust on the spindle could remove some or all of the threads on the side of the hole opposite the plug, which will create a dangerous situation.

flehto's way of marking the radius on the plug is the best and the safest way. IMHO, at no time, should a drill be run into a threaded hole that is put under pressures found in a barrel. Like Fred said, "Sure doesn't take much drill deflection to destroy shallow 32TPI threads."

It's much better to be safe than sorry.

God bless

Thank you all for the tips,you are correct, a slight deviation would have ruined my day, fortuneatly it didn't.If i happen to get a chance to build another gun,I'll be sure to include this step.

Back