• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

velocity question revisited

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaming canvas

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Back in the spring I put up a post about velocity from a .36 with 40 grains 3f. This is in a 42 inch GM barrel. Most of the estimates were in the neighborhood of 1800 fps.

Yesterday I put 3 shots over a chronagraph and was pleasantly surprised. Velocities were 1904, 1902 and 1907. It may be a fluke, but the consistency was really amazing and I was pleased with the velocity. It is a real tack driver with this load. A .357 mag case full, about 25 gr but I haven't measured it, came in at about 1350 fps with more variation.

Great numbers. I use 40 grains in my 43" Sharon barrel .36 for 100 yard target shooting. It will keep everything in the scoring rings at 100 yards offhand if I don't do something silly. It's nice to know what kind of velocity I am getting.

Yesterday I chrono'ed my .54cal, 38" barrel with a .530 rb over 80gr of 3f goex. I was 15' back from the screen and my average velocity was 1616fps! I was impressed that this gun can produce such velocities from only a 38" barrel.
I did not mean to hijack your thread but I never chronied a ml before and I was too lazy to start my own thread.

IIRC a .357 Magnum case holds about 28 grains of 3F powder. A .38 Special holds 25 grains of 3F.

consistancy looks GREAT, accuracy will generally be good if loads are consistant. My self I leave my chrony in the cabinet because I go straight for grouping, velocity is important only to determine consistancy which you seemed to have done a great job of getting.

Back