• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using Small Pistol Primers Instead of Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder how well it seals the flame out to prevent chain fire? Maybe better than a standard cap flange! I like finding alternate methods to keep shooting. Interesting,have to give it a go.

Kinda of modern is this not???????????????????????

Where is the modern end in the pistol section???????????????

Sure. But there were many people who couldn’t shoot their percussion arms some years back when shooting supplies became scarce. I know I couldn’t find the caps I needed for a long time. Same for the 3F T7 I used (locally). Seems some people might like another option were this to happen again, no?

Kinda of modern is this not???????????????????????

Where is the modern end in the pistol section???????????????

Yes, That tubing is about as modern as a plastic stock. fiber optic sights, a fiberglass ramrod or a rubber butt pad.
But in a pinch it could also save a person's life.

Excellent information arcticap! :thumbs up::thumbs up:

The objection to using small primers reminds me of a news story from the early 80's about two young guys in a bar in Pittsburgh (If I remember correctly) arguing about Vietnam, it gets heated & they both die from knife wounds during the ensuing fight. Turns out not only had neither served in Vietnam, but neither had ever been in the Armed Forces! No one on this forum is 140 years old and very few of us shoot antique weapons even if we own them. We sometimes have to look at these things from a practical viewpoint, when you can't find the primary source of ignition for your weapon then you may have to substitute from time to time.... maybe chill a little with a sip of good bourbon, too.

Yes, That tubing is about as modern as a plastic stock. fiber optic sights, a fiberglass ramrod or a rubber butt pad.
But in a pinch it could also save a person's life.
Well, less dramatic for me, it makes me wonder about saving money and using it on my TC New Englander. I really don't have a use for 1000 caps, and would much rather buy a few hundred small, pistol primers, then have them for both modern reloading AND for my caplocks, revolvers, New Englander, maybe even my 20 gauge Pedersoli.

Thanks for sharing.

LD

Do some testing before you use this on side hammer guns. The revolvers keep the primer in place. With a side hammer gun it may not stay put under the hammer. Primers are nasty projectiles. When I was a kid I shot one in to my thumb that had to be surgically removed. With a long gun you are risking eye and facial injury.

Do some testing before you use this on side hammer guns. The revolvers keep the primer in place. With a side hammer gun it may not stay put under the hammer. Primers are nasty projectiles. When I was a kid I shot one in to my thumb that had to be surgically removed. With a long gun you are risking eye and facial injury.
I run flash cones on my percussion's now, That would reduce the risk in a side hammer pistol or rifle.
I like the idea of having a backup method firing one off. I remember the shortage issues with Clinton and Obama, and fully expect it to happen again. (But that's fodder for the politics part of the forum eh???)

I'll file that away with those cigarette lighter wheel flints, and uranium frizzens and electric ignition. Odd, I have never run out of caps or real black powder. Saw CCI caps at Walmart last week for $4.00 When I bought musket caps last, it was 250 to a container and I bought two containers. Buying a roll of caps (1,000) seems like a no brainer, when and if you get a deal. I have yet to figure out why they are so expensive. They can't cost but about a half cent to make.

I'll file that away with those cigarette lighter wheel flints, and uranium frizzens and electric ignition. Odd, I have never run out of caps or real black powder. Saw CCI caps at Walmart last week for $4.00 When I bought musket caps last, it was 250 to a container and I bought two containers. Buying a roll of caps (1,000) seems like a no brainer, when and if you get a deal. I have yet to figure out why they are so expensive. They can't cost but about a half cent to make.

Yea, because of those issues years back I buy caps by the 1000 and reorder well before I’m getting low. Same with powder, though back then I was looking for only one powder and couldn’t find that one locally. Grafs set things right in my world and I’ve been using them ever since. Wish they sold Rem #10 caps too...

Thank you for a great tip.
I'll bet it will work equally well on a cap lock rifle.
Fred

Someone posted that the lip of the hammer cup on their rifle comes into contact with the tube and prevents the pistol primer from being struck, so it won't fire.
The tube may be too wide for the lip of the hammer cup on some rifles and interfere with the hammer falling all of the way to strike the primer.
I've seen mini-magnets that may be able to be placed inside of the hammer cup that might solve the problem on rifles that have this lip interference.
It would take some experimentation to see if works.
The mini-magnets are sold in bulk in various diameters & thicknesses and are relatively strong.
It would be a small project to fit a mini-magnet inside the hammer cup to see if that would provide enough clearance to eliminate the interference.

Or perhaps the outer diameter of the tube would need to be modified by shaving it down in the right way.
It may not be same on all rifles since their hammer cups may have different sizes, depths and shapes.
The pistol primers may work with some rifles and not others depending on the size of the hammer cup unless an adaption can be made.

I would like to hear more feedback about whether the pistol primers will work with different rifles or not.
If anyone tries it please let us know how it works out.

No one around here reloads so the local Walmart doesn't carry any powder , caps , primers etc. Sad you can probably buy ink for a tatoo gun but no percussion caps or any real shooting supplies.

24B68615-AF47-49EE-851A-542FF6B177BB.jpeg
Would be interesting if they work well. Should be more energetic than percussion caps. Curious if they could be made to work on a sidekick. Currently have plenty of number 10 and 11 caps, about 2000 of each, so good there, and also a good quantity of CCI small pistal primers. Have both current ‘blue’ box ones plus some vintage ‘green’ box ones I just took in on trade. Time for a little experimenting.

View attachment 2244 Would be interesting if they work well. Should be more energetic than percussion caps. Curious if they could be made to work on a sidekick. Currently have plenty of number 10 and 11 caps, about 2000 of each, so good there, and also a good quantity of CCI small pistal primers. Have both current ‘blue’ box ones plus some vintage ‘green’ box ones I just took in on trade. Time for a little experimenting.
I got a rebel confederate 44calber what size do I need 10 or Remington 11 ?

Back