• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps v primers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We know that caps and primers are both sensitive to impact from a hammer or from a firing pin driven by a hammer. Does anyone know why primers are placed in plastic containers with each row of ten divided from the rest, while 100 caps are merely dumped in a can? I'm sure there are different chems used to make them but it seems that either the packaging of caps is sloppy or primer packaging is overkill. Thoughts? 🤔

That's a good question for which I'd like a technical answer.

As the fulminate is exposed in the perc cap and the fulminate is far more protected in a primer, I'd almost think it would be the opposite. I remember reading cautions in old books about not storing primers in glass jars. I think the concern was glass is an insulator and there'd be no way to discharge static electricity safely. ...but plastic is also an insulator, so...why the difference? And if static electricity is an issue for primers, why isn't it an issue for perc caps?

That's a good question for which I'd like a technical answer.

As the fulminate is exposed in the perc cap and the fulminate is far more protected in a primer, I'd almost think it would be the opposite. I remember reading cautions in old books about not storing primers in glass jars. I think the concern was glass is an insulator and there'd be no way to discharge static electricity safely. ...but plastic is also an insulator, so...why the difference? And if static electricity is an issue for primers, why isn't it an issue for perc caps?
TxGR, I'm with you. Since the anvil on primers protrudes a little bit that might have something to do with the primer packaging. But, having loaded a bazillion cf cartridges, I have never had an anvil separate while loading, however my method is to dump out just ten at a time on a towel. Hopefully a present or former worker at a primer and cap mfgr co will reply.

Think it is more along the lines of how the product is used...

Caps, you are grabbing 'em one by one with your fingers (and then maybe loading a tool or something to hold a few, or just applying directly)

Primers you are likely flipping them over onto a tray that will go into a priming tool, etc. Getting a single primer out is a royal PITA - when I need "just a few" to finish off a repriming run on some brass, I end up putting a whole fresh row of 10 into my priming tool tray and then either find more brass and use all 10 or I end up manually picking the extras out one by one. Even a LRP is smaller and harder to handle than a #10 or #11 cap (never mind musket caps - I can understand that form factor for high stress use conditions!).

Think it is more along the lines of how the product is used...

Caps, you are grabbing 'em one by one with your fingers (and then maybe loading a tool or something to hold a few, or just applying directly)

Primers you are likely flipping them over onto a tray that will go into a priming tool, etc. Getting a single primer out is a royal PITA - when I need "just a few" to finish off a repriming run on some brass, I end up putting a whole fresh row of 10 into my priming tool tray and then either find more brass and use all 10 or I end up manually picking the extras out one by one. Even a LRP is smaller and harder to handle than a #10 or #11 cap (never mind musket caps - I can understand that form factor for high stress use conditions!).
Yes, that makes sense.

It's eleven below outside and I'm not going outside, so here we go. For reasons unbeknownst to me, Schuetzen (Rio, Spain) musket caps are packaged in sleeves of 100, each cap in its own receptacle. Note slightly smaller wings than RWS. Today's trivia; the Rio cup is soft steel rather than copper, touted by the manufacturer as easier to retrieve because they are magnetic...
006.JPG

It's eleven below outside and I'm not going outside, so here we go. For reasons unbeknownst to me, Schuetzen (Rio, Spain) musket caps are packaged in sleeves of 100, each cap in its own receptacle. Note slightly smaller wings than RWS. Today's trivia; the Rio cup is soft steel rather than copper, touted by the manufacturer as easier to retrieve because they are magnetic...
View attachment 285750
That's really interesting, thanks for the info. Are other brands of musket caps packaged the same way? If so,why, and if not, why would Rio devise such packaging which must costlier than a metal or plastic can? The plot thickens!

That's really interesting, thanks for the info. Are other brands of musket caps packaged the same way? If so,why, and if not, why would Rio devise such packaging which must costlier than a metal or plastic can? The plot thickens!

Same size tray as used for 209 primers? Would lead to purchasing/supplyefficency...

Back